New Eden?

Why is the cluster called “New Eden”?
It has nothing of an eden and is more a place I would foresee if I expected to go to hell.

Also, a lot of the game has a religious undertone. Most of the ships bear names found in the sacred texts of several ancient civilizations and several factions hold the belief of an omnipresent, omniscient and omnipotent God.

I don’t quite see the connections between the lore and the game itself. It is as if two worlds existed in parallel: One populated by NPCs - who are subjected to their digital reality and are non-entities, and another one populated by humans who use avatars - disposable clone capsuleers - in an effort to mirror their ugly reality in it: war, deception, theft, politics, coercion…

So why “New Eden”? Why create a hellish world and all the mechanics for it to be one then call it “New Eden”?

The idea is that since people from Earth found this place (with abundant resources) they called it New Eden.

It soured as the 1 wormhole from Earth to this distant corner of the galaxy was cut off… That is where the grim state of EVE Online comes into play.

That doesn’t make any sense. The shutdown of the gate wouldn’t have transformed a “New Eden with overabundant resources” into a hellish nightmare. Humans would have been more evolved by then, more than likely one or more world wars would have happened before they’d learned to cooperate in truth and sincerity or they wouldn’t have become a type II civilization and find the EVE gate to begin with.
This idea that the human of the future would revert back to base instincts while he has everything to better his life is not believable.

This is one of the first “origin” trailers for the game:

Watching it may help answer your question.

4 Likes

You have way too much faith in future humans. Given that more people were killed by ‘modern’ man in the 20th century than in all previous centuries put together…I’d be a little more realistic.

1 Like

I have faith in God and I know that He will not let the forces of darkness eliminate the human race.

Can you get him to appear to Hilmar and tell him to stop nerfing things in Eve.

2 Likes

I don’t think your gaming needs are in the agenda. I mean, I didn’t read anything about MMORPGs in the Bible and I’m sure I’ve gone over it twenty times by now.

It’s like you don’t understand humans at all.

This thread took quite a turn.

I personally find the lore of this game unbelievable — literally — but that’s kind of the point of a fantasy game, so I accept and embrace it.

2 Likes

You seem to not understand a few things. The EVE gate was a natural wormhole that Humans discovered and used to establish new colonies…much like colonizing the American continents in our history (without there being humans already there). Humans started colonizing, but didn’t really get too set up when the wormhole effectively went supernova (or something similar to the what happened in Jove space a few years ago), wiping out all the closest colonies and cutting us off from Earth. The Amarrians, of the four empires, and the only ones who have some idea of what was. Jovians were in cryostasis during this, and thus were a little more able to get back on their feet after the Yan-Jung and Talocan wiped each other out. All the other empires, had to rediscover stuff as they no longer had access to all of Earth’s tech and expertise. A lone colony ship isn’t going to have all the required knowledge to rebuild beyond what their colonies’ purpose was, and that’s if they survived.

3 Likes

It’s all bollocks really.

If you’re into the lore, fine. But if you’re looking for a Tolkienesque grasp of human nature and psychology in a fictional world, you should probably take EVE with a large pinch of salt.

It’s a video game, designed to attract and retain as many fee-paying addicts as possible. If you manage to have fun along the way, then Great!

‘EVE’, ‘Eden’, you know…?

1 Like

Thanks. I understand better what happened now. I will read more on it.

Yeah. I think the religious references are interesting in a sci-fi environment. The financial side of it all is obvious.

I can appreciate that. And it makes the discovery interesting and engaging.
Yesterday I saw a nebulae in Null but it looked like it had a blackhole at its center and it was of all colors from green to purple, orange… It was really neat.

The entire theme of Battlestar Galactica was ( ironically ) a pre garden of Eve religious one…right down to the names Adama and so on, and the Cyclons as fallen angels created by repltilians.

And of course there are also the Mormons in The Expanse. Battlestar Galactica was ( not a lot of people know this ) created by a Mormon.

Not to mention the Ori in Stargate.

@Altara_Zemara It looks like you find religious references in sci-fi environments interesting as well.
Battlestar Galactica was one of the sci-fi shows I used to watch as a kid. I thought it was kind of silly even then.

As to the name “New Eden”, I would imagine that to be the result of advertising and marketing, to get enough colonizers to fill up the spaceships that will make the journey - to make it profitable and to have a critical mass to make it viable once there.

It could also mean that Earth (and its early colonies closer by, given they already have space travel) wasn’t exactly a happy place. I imagine it to be closer to a Blade Runner reality. Colonizers don’t move away from their origin because they have it so good, do they. In that sense, “the Garden of Eden”, the original paradise lost lends its name to this new hope of finding a better place, and is portrayed as a New Eden.

In terms of lore, it fits perfectly. When disaster strikes (the closing of the original wormhole), all communication between the settlers and their origin is lost. They’re on their own and completely cut off. And humans being humans will … do human things, from the very good to the very bad. Mix in some alien technology discovered, jump gates, cloning and transfer of consciousness, the creation of a subpopulation (capsuleers) who are near immortal beings, the existence of (probably extreme) religious and political groups within the original settlers (undesirables “stimulated” to leave for the new colonies), the inevitability of conflicts between groups, and confrontation with true aliens.

Both capsuleers and NPC’s (or most of them anyway) are human in origin. It’s rather obvious that the game’s world needs NPC’s to function. The populations that live on the planets are never seen, but they are there, just like the personnel that mans the ships and keeps it functioning. They are not a separate world, but it’s a world that is far below the concerns of the pilot class/caste.

Or in the words of Sister Alitura herself:

I ask for help, and they send me a capsuleer.

You are a capsuleer, aren’t you? An immortal pilot who subverts the rules of life and death, who shapes the fate of empires? You’ll have to excuse my skepticism.

I work with a humanitarian organization, the Sisters of EVE. I’ve seen your kind hasten the deaths of millions every day. You expect me to believe that you’re different? To prove yourself, your actions will have to do the talking.

Prove to me you’re not just another murderous liar with a god complex. With all the power at your disposal, you certainly could be a force for good

As to ship names, many are indeed from old (religious) texts and myths that are public domain. Some come from ancient languages (e.g. gnosis, metamorphosis, etc). I suppose devs and writers could have come up with their own names and avoid any reference or connotation.

On the other hand, they sought inspiration in many cultures, avoiding to make these connotations one-sided but international instead. Some are still missing, but maybe when ccp comes up with new ship lines those will be included too (one can only hope).

That some connotations are religious in nature is coincidental. That Amarrians are religious fanatics is intended. That the Minmatar have a historical score to settle with their former “masters” is intended. Then again, there’s no difference in nature between any kinds of fanaticism, is there.

The question remains if the introduction of immortal capsuleers into a society built by humans would only have this many consequences, or that they would completely dominate the landscape, including the existence and nature of the four “empires”. And that is the function of these four empires: to bring a certain level of stability to the game’s world (and a starting place for new players). Take away those four empires and you’d have a nullsec situation, I’d imagine.

So does this class of capsuleers simply “tolerate” the existence of the four empires, or is there more going on from a lore’s perspective ?

1 Like

@Wadiest_Yong Very interesting read. You’ve given me quite a few things to look into and think about.
Awesome post, thank you!

1 Like

You’re quite welcome. There’s a lot of lore, and not always easy to find. This is the official website for it:

1 Like