Photon UI - Now in Beta (Opt-Out)

Different gap sizes between different windows. The drone bay, fleet window and watch list are snapped onto each other. The different gap size also happens when I put the drone window to the side of the watch list.

grafik
Why is there a hamburger menu here when it should be 3 dots? This is in the Browser pane in the Ship Simulation. It should be 3 separate icons (which should be buttons and not just icons that don’t look like buttons) like in the Fitting Browser window. Another set of Photon inconsistencies.

Dead space within any window in the UI is a wide spread issue with the Photon UI.

All buttons across the UI have gone up about 40% in size making all windows need to be modified heavily to fit previously seen icons/information from overview or ship status.

The Selected Items Window itself I had to increase double the size to fit all of the buttons on it to be the smallest possible from the previous size I had it.

The Drone window now contains picture icons for drones now so the size I had it before now sees only 3 drones of 5 when launched. However, the drone list when in the launch tube still only has the names and hitpoint values making all of them visible. Suggestion to remove the pictures from the launched drones.

The Find Fleet window is the worst contender for dead space in the window. Searching for fleets, I can only see 1 and a half fleets of the listing when before I had enough space with the same window size to see 5 fleets.

• Side note with search criteria, the added button for “Only show adverts from your groups and public fleets requiring positive standing” is identical to the standings search criteria directly above it for you to search for “Any standing / Good Standing / Excellent Standing.” Therefore a superfluous setting removing even more space. Or if it does do something different, combine within the same dropdown selection for standing. Do not create an entirely different button.

If I correctly adjust all windows to show everything that was once visible, my monitor has nearly 60% of my screen lost to windows that are needed to be open for a fleet fight due to all of the windows having to be increased drastically in size. Buttons sizes were unnecessarily increased, the buttons exists alongside shortcut commands for every button in the game.

3 Likes

Why does Photon have at least 2 different big Back/Forward arrow styles? Why are the arrows in one window (Wallet) actual buttons but only normal icons in other windows (Market, Kill Reports in the corp window). This is neither a consistent design style, nor does it help with better understanding the UI, nor does it reduce cognitive overload.

Then there is this:

Yet another Back/Forward button style that is not consistent with other buttons that align their cut-off corners on top of it. To make them consistent with the Photon style and to assist the eye in recognizing the Back/Forward functionality, the corners should be cut-off left/right just like they are in dialog windows like “Quit Game”. Another instance where the claim “Photon is more consistent than the old UI” flies out of the window and laughs at you.

6 Likes

I have to be honest, and say i havent search around enough to conclued if its a known issue or not, even though im pretty sure it’s been reported before… But even with the forcement of the new UI the bug is still there, where you have to spend enormous amount of time getting all the category’s back if they are missing, cause you have to do it in the specific ordre and hit that hidden pixel that allows you to add em again…
Its the small thinks that is easy to jump over but means so much

best regards

1 Like

grafik

More window border clipping issues. #CCPHogDay

grafik
Next step to make the UI harder to use. The formerly vibrant progress bar effect is now dull, muted and harder to see. Granted, progress bars are becoming less and less important, but it is striking nonetheless that they make them harder to see and recognize nonetheless. This must be another case that makes Photon “easier to use, the experience more streamlined and reduces cognitive overload”.

In light of the above:

grafik

First major downgrade of usability. While it’s nice to see that CCP worked on the UI in the contract window, this change makes it harder to clearly and concisely see which category is active. The dark blue highlight does not stand out, which makes it harder to see which category is active. Not a great sign, as expected.

3 Likes

Another instance where Photon clearly make the game “easier to use, give it a more streamlined experience and reduces cognitive overload”.

1 Like

grafik

Can someone explain to me why there are lines next to the input field area? No other similar window has these lines, they serve no purpose, they break with the general UI style of Photon, they cause clutter.

More Photon windows issues: When I type something in the New Sell Price window, the window increases its size for an instant and then goes back to the normal size. This is how it looks in the broken state. See the big empty edge below the buttons? When I delete the value in the NSP box, the window breaks and the huge waste of space remains:

grafik

This is how the window should look like normally:
grafik

Yet more Photon bugs with window frames:

Not only is the ship preview overflowing the window, which is already known, but the brighter background of the skin list and the skin cards are also overflowing the window.

More buggy Photon quality:
grafik

More Photon issues when it comes to the boastful claims of consistency. I opened a Character Info Window and accidentally pressed Enter. Since nothing on the window was selected, I didn’t expect anything to happen. However, against that expectation, the Add Contact window opened, even though the button Add Contact was not highlighted/pre-focused by the UI. In the Add Contact window, the Add Contact button was properly highlighted, indicated by the brighter color of the button.

Photon is such an irredeemably broken mess and it’s not even a year old.

4 Likes

Why do Shield have the same icon everywhere in the game, but the Armor icon in Fleet Broadcast differs from the icon in Skills and the basic design element in Item Icons? Surely, this increases the cognitive overload unduly and makes the UI experience harder and less streamlined.

grafik

More weird icon cropping.

4 Likes

Scroll state stays between Killmails. I just opened a Killmail and scrolled through to the end to see the cargo. Then I opened another killmail and the scroll state was down at the end as well. And I may be wrong but the scroll state of the first mail I opened was also at the bottom of the list, which means that scroll state stays between sessions and even between downtimes. The first killmail was the first killmail I opened after DT and after a fresh login this evening.

Scroll state staying between opening different windows is not a normal behavior. For instance, the scroll state between different Char Info windows when you go in the Employment tab switches back to the top in each new window.

grafik
Can you finally fix this button missalignment?

1 Like

grafik

Great Photon UI design. Very high quality.

3 Likes

Almost 5 months later, no change. GJ

1 Like

Where’s that iterative improvement every single apologetic clown was mentioning when photon was being made mandatory?

9 Likes

Speaking of improvements, how about this one

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.