As reported by Scope, RSS has started to round up people in what they call “counter-terrorist” operations.
Many - though probably not all - of these so-called arrests are illegal. It is the purview of the RSS to protect the tribes from threats and treason, and in that “counter-terrorism” sounds grand. It is essential that events such as the Deathglow attacks on Mikramurka get investigated and the responsible parties be brought to justice.
But you cannot just slap a convenient label on something and make it so. Great power is easily abused, and this has always been the worry with how RSS operates. It’s well-meaning right hand can be incredibly ignorant of what its clandestine, self-centered left one is doing. (Trust me, I know - I did not get my 9.43 for nothing, even if it was before the Purges and weighs nothing now.)
The Amo demonstrations were not terrorism. Turf wars in the Heath between RSS’s pet criminal warlords and those not so much in their favor are not terrorism. And Sebiestor Marshal investigations into criminal organizations sure as hell are not terrorism.
RSS does not have the legal authority to:
- arrest and accuse a person of the tribes of terrorism or treason without informing their registered family and clan, latest immediately after arrest
- hold members of the tribes without clearly specifying what supposed crime they are being held over
- prevent detained members of the tribes from communicating with representatives their clan, tribe, and legal representation
- interfere in crime proceedings that fall under the sole jurisdiction of a registered clan or circle, or constitute an intra-tribal matter
- interfere with ongoing investigations by other organizations into corruption and/or crime
- restrict movement of independent capsuleers or try to force access to independent capsuleer facilities that fall under international CONCORD / SCC law
More over, RSS does not have the moral authority to use its influence and power for or against a domestic political party, to stifle legal demonstrations, or to favor any particular tribe in a jurisdiction battle or inter-tribal investigation.
If you have had a son or a daughter missing or taken:
- demand you are informed about their whereabouts and can maintain contact through the proceedings
- demand to know what exact act of “terrorism” they are accused of
- demand they are tried and judged in a fair court that has jurisdiction over them, either through their own connections, or those of the specified victim
- if your demands are not responded to, escalate the matter to your chiefs, to their chiefs, and up the tribal pathways, until you get answers
Even if you think your son or daughter is a bad egg, had it coming, should have kept their mouth shut, remember that your kin is yours to judge. If a member of your circle has wronged someone, that is primarily your concern and that of the party who was wronged. Honor demands you do not simply leave it to an outsider to handle based on a vague accusation of ‘terrorism’. Even Karishal Muritor, having as a Fleet officer illegally conscripted Fleet ships for his own personal war, was dealt with by the Fleet themselves.
If you are or think you might become a target of illegal persecution by officials, regardless of where you reside:
- inform your kin, circle, and trusted friends that this is the case, making it harder to make you simply disappear
- make and prepare for a GTFO plan
- keep money and any necessary legal documents with you at all times
- seek help from a circle that cannot be directly traced to you but owes you allegiance, or in the absence of one, a neutral party refugee center that can provide you asylum
All support to legal counter-terrorism;
None to Purges without trial.