The Red Dot thread

This feature was touted as especially helpful for new players, I don’t doubt that having your attention called to where something went is useful when a game as complex as this, is completely new to you.

But, CCP has so far endured bearing the brunt of endless memes and derision about the feature from more experienced players, for not permitting player choice. Red Dot is kind of like having training wheels on a bicycle: why can’t I take them off?

2 Likes

Legacy code.

:red_circle: So, I just ran some explo sites again.

• When I pick things from a can with Loot All, the red dot appears in my cargo for a split second but then disappears.
  • If I pick an item from a can that only had one thing in side, the red dot appears in my cargo and stays.
  • If I pick things manually from a can with more than one thing, the first individual item picked gets the dot, the second and subsequent don’t.
  • If I pick 2 items from the can simultaneously, none one gets the dot but one gets the dot if I drop it on an existing stack and one item merges into the stack. Subsequently picked items don’t get the dot.

Why?

So when can we expect this dot to be removed?

In 15 years on EVE Online nobody needed it and looking for your stuff makes you stay logged on longer.
I already know most of the time what things are new in my hangar since I just bought them, duh.

2 Likes

Wait, they could give the red dot a glow (glare) like the local star has!!!

That would make it… even more horrible! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I also want to say that anyone who has a life hates the red dot on the phone, which can never be silenced.

Therefore the devs who did this…

1 Like

In my 17 years in eve i never once thought i needed a red dot and after getting one it is as usefull as cancer. Please let me turn it off :pray:

3 Likes

So, before red dots Eve already had a user interface method of highlighting things that need attention: blink. So why didn’t this get implemented as blink? New things in your inventory? Make inventory blink. Open inventory? New things blink.

Or perhaps that would be incredibly annoying.

But somehow red dots are not. Or something.

At least blink can be disabled.

1 Like

Why can’t it be blue like the forums? I could handle that.
Less in your face than the red they currently use

■■■■ the red dot

Heres an IDEA:

Turn this FEATURE off

2 Likes

Oh, yes - here is an older, well established thread:

image BAN THE DOT!

This… sheesh

@Forum_Posting_Alt Stop being all Nazi/Fascist/White Supremacist/etc on the red dot. It deserves better :rofl:

@ISD_Lord_Arranoth

Hello, please see the consolated Red Dot thread here: The Red Dot thread

How about merging the threads rather than hiding the topic in the wrong part of the forum to avoid discussion…

Don’t you get it? CCP thinks that the red dot issue is aS crazy as the people who want to get rid of cloaking. There is nothing left to say.

2 Likes

When I get an alert on the Neocom, an icon blinks. I can acknowledge the alert by interacting with the Neocom element, or I can choose not to get the alert at all by turning off blinking icons.

When I interact with items by placing cargo in my ship and undock, every element I just placed in my cargo gets an alert. I can acknowledge the alert by interacting again with every element I just interacted with, or… leave the alert active until the next time I interact with those elements.

Why is this done differently for Inventory, which is one of the elements also the Neocom? There’s no option not to get the alert as there is for Neocom icons.

We can turn Neocom blink off. We should be able to turn red dots off.

1 Like

This the place where ideas come to die ? It’s like that other elephant graveyard called the “assembly hall”.
Anyway, here’s one idea: make a subsection on the forums called “Red Dot Time Capsule”. Collate all the threads related to that little bastard in there, no matter if they’re locked.
Reason: Consider it a place where players can vent their frustration with the red pustules in safety and relative freedom. Years from now you can look at it and ask yourselves where it went so horribly wrong, how a dysfunctional piece of illogical programming was able to survive that long under the banner of ‘new player experience’ and create negative emotions lasting longer than losing a favorite (but replaceable) ship, every time a player logs in.

Of course this idea is in jest, it serves merely a satirical purpose. The real idea is to either get rid of it (which you won’t do) OR make an opt out (which you should do judging from now countless posts in too many threads).
I and others will, respectfully, continue to disagree with this particular ‘form vs function’ choice because …
torero-bull-spain-red-thumbnail
… every log in is a reminder.

1 Like

As title states.

Came back after a year, it is the season of war after all.

Sorting all the stuff and, good Lord. The red dot / bottom notification is like a finger in your eye.

I put the stuff there, I know its there, no need to hit me in the face with a notification.

No idea who had this bright idea, dont care, just would like to know how to turn it off.

3 Likes