Theft of moon ore and war

He chose to take a risk, he could have lost his mining drones to rats for example, someone could have bumped him or even ganked him.

Whatā€™s the difference. If you arenā€™t at your computer and/or just letting the mining proceed without monitoring it, whatā€™s so hard about calling it AFK?

2 Likes

You went AFK but I donā€™t. That is the difference, you assume that because you can and do go AFK then it is AFK mining. But as I said with the asteroid belts the rocks are too small and you cannot AFK mine period.

You can do this in ice belts or moon belts to a degree though, however CCP should make moon roids a lot smaller.

Ah ok. Seemed you were talking in general terms, not just about yourself:

You decided to go AFK and then defined it as AFK mining. So you can go moon mining in hisec and assign a drone to each roid and go shopping. Not very efficient if you have travel distance on different roids but if you can do it then your choice. Other people donā€™t do that based on what they are mining and risk.

You have made a decision to do it so that you can go AFK. Mining in Eve is low attention, period.

However when I play I go high attention most of the time.

Yeah sure I agreed with that earlier. Not much lower attention than not even being at a computer. Struggling to call AFK mining, AFK mining and sticking to a ā€œitā€™s low attentionā€ (Iā€™m not the only one that canā€™t stand mining, so that the only bearable way to do it is to not actually be at the computer).

Good for you. Medals all around.

I just think you are wrong calling it AFK because in certain circumstances you can set it up to be afk for a shopping trip. As for me I agree that it is as boring as hell unless you make it less boring. So for fun I setup a full yield hulk and bring that out to play at times along with my Orca. When I use that I tend to keep an eye on local and be ready to switch to my Skiff which is sitting in the Orca.

Because of that choice I made it high attention mining. But I am pulling the ore in fast. So it is all about choices.

no Dravcladā€¦
The smallest rock in the smallest moon belt is approx 70,000 m3 and the largest somewhere around 120,000 m3.

In an 8 week belt you are talking approx 170,000 to 410,000 m3 per rockā€¦
An Orca can easily AFK mine in a Moon Ore site.

I was talking about asteroid belts and said above that I had no idea of the size of moon belts because normal asteroid mining in hisec is not and never can be afk because the roids are too small.

But thanks to the you chaps for giving me this information. Makes me want to do this because why not. @Scipio_Artelius @Daichi_Yamato and @Max_Deveron

So 40k to 70K m3 as small, 70k m3 average, large 120k m3 and really large 220k m3 to 410k m3. So yes you can mine AFK if you wanted to.

However the thing here is that you have risks for doing so, loss of drones to rats and players, being bumped away. Still as you are quite right it is possible to do completely AFK play. My issue is that in other areas like what I currently do it is not AFK at all and I would hate changes to make it more interactive because I am actually pretty active when mining due to the annoyingly small roid size.

Well that makes absolutely sense yes.

Well I mean when people talk about AFK they actually mean not paying attention and not necessarily physically away from the keyboard. It also depends where you draw the line. I for example think that if you can let the game play itself for 5min that already qualifies.

Itā€™s not really the point if you do it or not, many people will do everything to maximize the amount of time they donā€™t have to pay attention. If you look around highsec you will find tons of Orcas AFK mining in the odd ore belt. Itā€™s super inefficient compared to active mining and maybe the roids are already gone after 10min, but itā€™s still effortless ISK and therefor actually a thing people do.

I try not to be away from the keyboard for long, make a cup of tea, pee break that sort of thing.

It is all a question of whether it works and how much effort you put in as you effectively said. You cannot mine AFK in the asteroid belts where I am, they are just too small.

I have done Ocra mining having one on either side of an asteroid belt and assigning single drones to each roid. But I was still watching it because you have to as roids run out at different times due to distance and amount. It can only really work in ice belts or moon mining or in systems which do not get mined regularly or have active NPCā€™s miners.

If I could just plonk an Orca down and leave it to get on with it then fine I would, so I guess I better start looking at moon mining.

Exactly. Totally agree and actually, I was a bit undersized on the moon roids. They can be much larger than the 120-130K I suggested:

roid_size

More than enough to fill an Orca without ever changing target.

Well I better train those moon ore skills up then.

So effectively a private roid belt. Whatā€™s next? It just spawns in their hanger? Private Data/Relic/PvE sites? PvP god mode?

This is nonsense. All hisec athanor owners have all the tools they need to protect ā€œtheirā€ ore, 99.9% of them are just too damn lazy to use them, they deserve what they get.

2 Likes

You made a lot of dumb assumptions and then called them nonsense.
Indeed, my friend, your assumptions are nonsense.

You expose that you barely comprehend what weā€™re talking about! :smiley:

Well done! :blush:

Bollocks, Iā€™ve both defended moon belts and raided them, I know exactly what Iā€™m talking about.

[Edit: Ath owner decides when the belt pops, if u canā€™t raise a fleet to extract the value then ur an idiot for investing in it in the first place. Most miners are lazy and want a quiet life, harrassment works most of the time, theyā€™ll just move on. For persistant offenders there are other very cheap options to make it not worth their time.

What would be acceptable would be an Upwell Mining Command Burst which increased yield for the owner, corp and any fleet they put together. This would encourage diplomacy, access agreements between corps/individuals and ore tax payments. Anything that makes co-operative play is always better in my view.]

2 Likes

Can you guys not once stop letting greed dictate everything?

The OP himself does not want to co-operate, he wants a fair way to get rid of the overpowered competition. Every time someone says that ā€œincreasing incomeā€ is a good idea thereā€™s one more scratch on the list of people who only ever care about income.

People ā€¦ :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

This already happens, why do we need a special thing?

Are you not finished discussing it yet.
I have written off the 14 stations there when war was declared against us.
Alliance was even 3 days later.
They had no resistance and no one to fight with. There were no active left.
My kids play Fortnite and Paladins instead of EVE and it works fine for us.
We have started taking in the woods and on the beach where we used to play EVE.
When the weather permits.
So I have found something else to do with my children.
And 0.0 is just easier when you donā€™t want to share with those you donā€™t know.
Fly safely.
Look over your shoulder.
You never know where in the dark we are.

Miu Mau outā€¦!

1 Like