Updates To Skill Training - live now on Singularity!

alt+x i have never had anything like this on my neocom. I don’t mind them separating it. it will take time to get used to but I never opened the skill window via the character sheet and I kinda wish they would remove more from it. There is a lot there that just feels like it was put there because they had no where else to put it.

So instead of having all information on one window we now always have to right click + Show Info + and hover over the blue plus there. And even all that does not jet show the time it will take, rather just the SP trained / SP total.

I have often decided what to train first based on shortest time, but that is not possible a lot harder with the new skill sheet.

4 Likes

go back and look at the images i produced
time until trained 41 days, based on where it’s located at on the queue

im not saying its perfect, far from it, but the info is there…

1 Like

Ah sorry, I see what you mean. Still it is far easier with the current system to just see the time at a glance instead of having to right click every single skill.

you’re not wrong

This is a great start, was excited by the milestones feature particularly. Played around with it a little bit, and have some initial feedback:

1. Arbitrary milestones - adding an item as a milestone is great but having milestones for a group of core skill would be a great improvement, some examples:
    a. A plan for stealth bombers that includes a milestone to train both missile bombardment and missile projection to 4.
    b. A beginners skill plan that has a milestone to train the magic 14 to 4
    This would make it easier to show & feel progress towards less tangible goals like new ships/equipment.

Currently you can add a milestone for a single skill, I think you can sort of fudge it by manually adding other skills before that skill milestone but progress towards them isn’t tracked by the milestone.

2. For equipment/ship milestones, If you used the icon for that ship or piece of equipment, it would be much easier to see at a glance roughly what the skill plan actually trains.

3. I didn’t see a way to import/export hopefully we will have a way to share skill plans/milestones externally as well.

4. It could be clearer what the ordering of the milestones is at the moment the circular placing seems ambiguous

Will kick the tires a bit more tomorrow. But I think the milestones will help new players pick up the basic skills they need to try new play styles and then give them next steps if they enjoy them.

no no no no no no.
we need to step away from making the magic 14 seem important when it isn’t…
Magic 14 needs to be shown as a plan of “idk what to train, i’ll train one of these for now”
most of them are not needed, especially beginners, don’t need half of the magic 14…
get out of that mindset

2 Likes

It’s an example to illustrate a point, feel free to pick a different group of skills if you don’t like that one.

They mostly need to learn that this game is not played with a touchscreen. They keep making horrible overly large UI elements, adding painful amounts of whitespace, and removing information and functionality that was already there in the thing they are replacing with these first pass UI changes. Discounting the skill plans, the new skills UI is straight up a downgrade that is half as functional as the current skill menu.

4 Likes

I like the character sheet changed, I will be able to see my whole body - apparel and all :grin: :grin: :grin:

And the big misses are…

A) the AIR system:

1. the AIR should have NO pre-req’s to use it, they should be added to the plans, the are ‘certified’ after all, aren’t they?

2. the search box would be infinitely more valuable to veterans if; for instance, you could type Molok in the search box and it would pop up the molok to drag and drop to a plan (your idea here is that this is the panel for skils management and if that is the case then you should’nt need to open the market panel or something to make it work)

3. The system would be improved by adding in the little used but potentially now useful, ‘mastery’ system. Drop in Molok from the new search ability and the mastery options come up, can choose ‘minimum requirements’ or one of the mastery levels and the skills update.

B) the new Charcater Panel should be altered, as shown below:

1. allows full character portrait.
  2. makes it clear that the character panel is not the place to look for skills management.

OPTIONAL: If the person’s race is anything but Minmatar a saddy face icon is placed right below the racial icon and on mouse-over the saddy face says, ‘You didn’t choose Winmatar???’.

And the wins are…

Pretty much everything else, nice work !

1 Like
  1. Please allow us to minimize the character portrait. I’m not really interested in it and it does sometimes lag the client to load for something I don’t care about or use.
  2. Recommend moving the skills button somewhere else. It seems out of place in terms of the update. Maybe a tab at the top after you click character? That’s the only place it really makes sense. Where it is now is good, but I get you want to open a new window/interface.
  3. Please remove the ‘Augmentations’ tab and combine it with the jump clones in some way. It’s just an extra form to load/click that most of us do to make sure we got in the right clone.
  4. Allow us to switch clones without getting out of the current ship we are in.
  5. The text for time remaining on skills is squished into the skill name when the skill UI is reduced to its smallest size making it unreadable. Maybe have the times on the second row below the name?

Otherwise, like the changes!

OMFG the new window is SOOOOOO BAD. WTF? WHY?
and why are skills not in alphabetical order anymore? took too long for me to find Capital Ships skill… WHY? god damn, DEMERIT!

4 Likes

One good thing on the skill sheet. Red not bought skills.

But, So many problems with this system.

• No Recommended Build Ques for National [Empire Lines] Hey I want my Caldari Assault Frigate…can I search this item in the skill que and see what is required…and then an optimal skill set/plan? Maximum effectiveness. You can set your goals based on the skills you pull up.

• Skill Plans are too narrow. 5 skills? Really? There needs to be more options. Why I say this is there are some specialized skills I have noted that can speed roll through the line ups. [Above Caldari Assault Frigate being Example]

• Can we please get organization options? Like oh…I want to see what equipment is available for frigates? I want to see what skills and equipment can be tied to the frigate class.

• Can we organize skills by type? Projectile Weapons are all organized together. [small-medium-large-XL projectile.] Gunnery Tab → Projectile Weapons-> Projectile Weapon Skills.

• Can we separate base booster skills like sharpshooter, target analysis etc. for turrets into its own skill category in the tabs. Missile base boosting skills should be organized seperately from missile turret skills.

• Please start putting the Stats beside the skills please Skill per level is 10%…can we have it at Lv V would be 50% no? Can we not see that information on the skill sheets? And in information on what is boosting the modules or ship stats in game so we can associate the data of the skills etc with hard numbers etc.

• Please Organize Skills in blocks, also please put icons on the skill sheets pertaining to what skills are avail. The old Skill Que looks better and gives you information on what is being unlocked. This skill unlocks this module or other skill book.

• Change the background colors, because you might have some problems with color blind players might make reading the skills very difficult. Especially as they fill in.

• Skill Plans do not factor in some playstyles and ways to work the system of the skills. This becomes an issue because we can’t move skill plans with their limitations to help create the more unique playstyles for players. Want to speed standing? Got to tear through Social and Leadership. Want to speed upgrade Neural Upgrades need to be set up a specific way. Both of which can not be mimicked via the new skillplans.

• This new skill system doesn’t allow one to operate on the Rule of 3 effectively for total unlock. Magic 14 is okay per se. But yeah, there are some serious problems with this skill system.

Its a great way to try to revamp…but I am not impressed with the NPE either. Why are you guys copying the World of Tanks Daily Mission concept? Some of these “opportunies” really are not beneficial for a new player.

I think the old sheet has flavor of the game. Just give it a new tab on the UI…that makes sense. Add the Red Markers and Blue + options. I want blocks that build up for a skill in training so you know how much training you are doing. We need new organization options.

But I like my old Character sheet because everything is there for testing/information/ bio, why do this change which just would add confusion?

Optimize the old Character Sheet and try to organize it…before you change things into something new that will probably cause problems for new and returning old players.

Or, might I suggest this…Move everything into the Agency. And add a nice organization for materials in the Agency? Simplify the UI, not over complicate it.

Add to the Agency training skills, bio, etc.
It would simplify everything allow you to check things on login. PERFECT. Why was it not done this way?

4 Likes

Back in the day you could only train one skill level at a time. You set alarms to remind you to start a new skill level. Updates were twice a year and were sketchy, sometimes down a day or two. So you set a higher longer skill level. Later in my long career I did a, wait for it, a spreadsheet of all the skills. I learned a couple of things. 80% of the entire skill is spent training from level 4 to 5 while the corresponding benefit is far less. Save time and don’t train to level 5 until it becomes a prerequisite. Wow! 150 skills in a queue with a plan! Now, if there could be small piloting perk to pilots who fly their own races ships…

1 Like

Sure they do. Fonts the same. Symbols are the same. Spacing isn’t that different in the groups.

I much prefer the horizontal to the vertical layout. They’re all still in alphabetical order, too.

You may prefer that but that doesn’t make it better. We all know that you prefer questionable designs over actually good designs, which means you are almost always wrong with your “preferences”. The new UI wastes space, displays less information, makes important UI portions harder to use and understand, reduces available information, different window sizes even bug out the UI, and its various components negatively impact each other. This. Is. Not. Better. Than. The. Existing. UI. It needs a ton more work to be at least at the same level of usefulness and usability as the existing UI, especially in the department of not requiring more work to achieve the same information display results without jumping through extra hoops.

You do realize that this is all more work for the exact same end result, don’t you? The existing UI gives you that information without more clicks. It also gives you the information without having to add the skill the queue. How can you possibly tell someone that the new approach is better when it requires more work, requires you to hover over a button to add skills to the queue to see information (which is prone to produce mistaken clicks and while you possibly can’t even add the skill because you don’t have it or don’t want to buy it), and requires you to open and then close more UI windows (while CCP claims to want to make it easier to use the UI :joy: ) … You are beyond saving with your apologetic nature towards CCP.

5 Likes

I like changes. This is probably a good start, it just needs a few more iterations to get to where it needs to be. I’m still waiting for the guy who’s been working on making the overview usable for new players from day 1 to publish his work. That’ll be a good day.

1 Like

The new skill window… it’s a bit too colorful in my opinion right now.

I agree to the already mentioned ide to show SPTC (skill points to completion of the current level). Also, please let us hide/shrink the character 3D modell.

Another thing that would be apreciated: is it possible to change the ration between the skill queue and the skill catalogue? The description of the skill in the queue an the remaining time are overlapping. The only way to unlap them is to increase the size of the whole window. No issue on a 21:9 or 32:9 monitor, but on 16:9 it’s very limited.

4 Likes

Skill plans are all well and good, but for the love of empress jamyl i don’t want my character to stare into my soul while i figure out where to clone jump or unplugging my implants, i understand that character attachment some MMO players may have but many aren’t one of them
One other thing: the skill catalogue of the new menus is all confusingly jumbled up where the old one had everything properly sorted, the defensive column with engineering, armor etc, offensive column with gunnery, missiles, drones, e-war skills, and the utility column with industry/invention/PI and everything else
A final solution: Just put it in a check box in the experimental features section of general settings: ‘Try the new skill plans and character UI’, toggled on automatically for new characters but you can turn it off

1 Like