Updates To Skill Training - live now on Singularity!

Could you sticky a link to here in the general discussion section on these forums to get the word out faster and to allow for more feedback?

2 Likes

Just here to say thanks CCP! This is a great idea and I hope to see it in the game soon. Hopefully it helps new players get past some of those first few barriers and also improves quality of life for existing players.

okay so how are you going to check in game the importance of the projectile turret rigging skill of a fit? or the effect the spaceship command skill has?

I am very fond of this idea behind this change.
Nevertheless the UI needs a lot of work, as mentioned above.
Please let us make the skill window smaller and don’t waste a lot of space in it with wide frames or big gaps. I would like to see back the feature of collapsing the icons which made the window a lot smaller and also less messy for me.
All things considered the skill plan integration is very cool with all the other changes.

1 Like

Skill info + simulation?

1 Like

but i need to know as a brand new player to even look at that skill or realize such a skill even existed.

just a few weeks ago I was talking with someone who played for almost half a decade without knowing there was an advanced skill to push is laboratory slots even higher despite having the manufacturing one trained.

such promise. i do hope that we can minimize more things (like the character portrait instead of just the useful stuff; can we minimize the categories of skills please?; can we have the option to minimize that milestones orb WITHOUT you guys just ripping out the code?)

my main hope is that we can ‘edit’ any saved personal skill plans. (can’t test that on sisi atm cuz save option blocked)

my main suggestion, very strong actually, is that CCP code in a capital ships category so we can go back to ordering by name instead of rank. (wouldn’t that be cool to have a category for skills that require the advanced spaceship command?)

for that matter, if CCP is able to screw with the spagetti code enough that capital ship category is possible, why not split the fighters and drones category?

could have just increased the skill queue length instead of making a big useless update when there are more pressing matters, people are still pissed!

5 Likes
  • ESI access to write these will make it easy for us to maintain the lists and distribute them to our players. Alternatively, the ability to import a skill list from the clipboard could suffice.

Seconded. We really need import/export of these plans to make them useful.

ESI would be great. Flat files / clipboard acceptable.

Then he didn´t open his eyes.

3 Likes

he just didn’t think to look

Just leave the option to have the existing character sheet, the first window that opens is worthless most of the time and dear god the skill plan screen is 75% wasted space for a character of my age so yeah just let us entirely disable the pointless full body avatar and just merge the skill list back in to the character sheet

Like i get that its going to help new players and i have no issues with it being the default option, but its an absolute eyesore and useless for someone of my age so having an option to hide 90% of it would be fantastic

6 Likes

Return the Skills sheet into the character sheet. Having it as a seperate pop out window is screen cluttering, and please reduce the size of everything. It doesn’t need to be made for a touch screen interface.

it doesn’t look that different to me, comparing this with the existing skill sheet. In fact, you can see a lot more of the skills here than you could on the other sheet, depending on how you had it sized.

@Brisc_Rubal - you might need your eyes testing mate. These look NO WAY similar.

Clean, easy to get, everything in alphabetical order:

Horrific, designed for a finger to jab at it, barely in any semblance of order.

12 Likes

I’d still take EveMon any day over this , same as Pyfa fitting tool instead of the in game fitting tool .
Have you ever thought of hiring those that made them ?
I mean , in theory , you guys should be better at this … so git gud !

5 Likes

People are way too harsh with the dev team. I for one love this change, it’s not perfect but it’s a huge step in the right direction. I’m assuming this comes with a major refactor, de-legacyfication and de-spaghettizition of the skills window and underlying systems. That’s the main value in my eyes.

Good job!

3 Likes

Why are you pushing this new chunky UI style for years?

The old UI works okay; you can resize, make it transparent, lock size and position, change color, or snap to another one. Recent update proved that you guys can deal with its old source code and improve QoL.

New ones, including this upcoming character sheet, look bulky and doesn’t fit well. The Agency is a Swiss army knife but in a giant toolbox. Love the new map, but its bulky window adds more clumsiness. Adding some margin is good, but you don’t have to pack every single element with bubble wrap.

Non-players say EVE’s UI is like a spreadsheet. CCP’s answer, making even worse with poorly designed slideshows.

8 Likes

I fully agree with all the complaints above about the unnecessary space wasted and the obfuscated layout of the new design. Also I don’t see the need to separate the skill sheet from the character sheet and add another mandatory button to the neocom.

Further the new skill sheet is also functionality wise inferior to the existing one:

1. In the existing skill sheet you can see the time it will take to train a skill to the next level for skills you have injected.

This is not visible in the new UI.

2. Hovering over a skill in the existing skill sheet shows you how much SP you have invested in a skill and how much SP is necessary for level 5.

3. Hovering over a skill category in the existing skill sheet shows your SP vs the total SP in that category along with the prevalent attributes for that category.

So as it stands with the new skill sheet UI it is just harder to manage skills, as you don’t know how long a given skill will train for until you place it into your skill queue. And the only places where you see actual skill point numbers now are your total SP and unallocated SP, which are harder to interpret, as you don’t see how much SP you have invested per skill and how much you need for level 5 in a certain skill.

The aim of this patch is to make skill training easier to understand for newer players. The introduction of skill plans should be a good addition for exactly this reason. But since the fundamental mechanic behind skill training is not changing, there is no real need to change the skill sheet, especially since the new skill sheet is both from a UI design point and functionality wise worse than the existing one.

So please, let us keep the existing skill sheet. Even if you are going to make the new one the default, you could let us have the option to keep the old one, same as with with old map.

16 Likes

typical ccp, making the ui even worse than it was

6 Likes

because there are fewer old devs and more newer ones. newer ones that went through collage courses where touch screens and tablets are the future so that is what they are taught to design.

4 Likes
  1. Right clicking on a skill will tell you the time for how long to train the next level.
  2. You need to right click and see info, and there will be a blue plus sign at the top right corner, it will tell you how much SP invested vs total

Also the blue plus sign, when having a skill in the Queue, will give you the total amount of time it takes to train a skill for all levels in the queue ( depending on location of the last skill added to Queue.

4 Likes