Well this makes EvE look like a terrible game CCP :(

Hey again and sorry for the late reply. I’m sitting on my notebook now, under my window. :sweat: I apologize in advance for any mistakes I make. I also apologize for possibly sounding like a teacher, or writing with the assumption that you don’t understand. It’s not meant to be demeaning, I’m simply thorough and don’t rely on the idea that you might know enough about everything I talk about.

I also apologize for writing books, I’m simply used to speak, which offers a completely different experience and allows me to cut down the amount of conversed words considerably.

Try to notice any bias you might have and simply ignore it for a greater good. I’m not spending over three hours writing this post just for the fun of it. No, I actually try to help and I really know what I am talking about.

There’ll always be people who will completely clash with what you’re about to read. People lack understanding of how the life of the modern, domesticated ape (including myself, of course) works beyond “eat, sleep, work, repeat”. They’ll disagree and that’s okay. I’m not going to demean anyone for disagreeing; it’s not really their fault, or my fault.

What can you do. What can I do? What can we do? The similarities to real life are amazing. In real life, people say “What can you do?” as well and nothing changes, because the system is made to protect itself. It discourages people from doing anything political, constantly feeds them new things to be angry about (so they switch topic regularly: distraction) and also feeds them so much wealth and food (Bread and Circus), that they’re too degenerated to care about anything but themselves.

Survival instincts are a healthy thing to have; without them, one’s priorities tend to get lost in things that one, who still has these instincts, would deem unnecessary luxuries, silly, or #FirstWorldProblems.

Some of the above and allof the above apply to different kinds of people all pretty much sharing the same problems. Their respective perspectives simply do not matter, because what matters is what they share. The root of most issues, which people apparently have forgotten to consider over the generations, or maybe never actually realized as a force which has significant influence over their lives and their society as a whole.

In real life it’s politics, in the game it’s CCP. Again … the similarities are amazing and I love the everlasting :poop: out of this! :smiley: We absolutely can equate CCP with “The One Political Party”. I’m not even the first or only one to do this, which struck me as a pleasant surprise.

So, what can you do? To figure that out, first one has to look at how “the authority” is influencing the culture of the society it governs. It’s a fluid process. Cultural changes happen when the norm of the former generation is changed into something different, which becomes the norm for the next generation. See also: repeated demands of nerfing highsec suicide ganking, aka “one last nerf”.

One generation demands a nerf, aka increased protection, and gets it. The next generation grows up with this new “norm” and eventually deems it insufficient, demanding even more protection. A vicious cycle also noticeable in real life, where (example playgrounds) politics forces protection onto children that wasn’t needed even a few decades ago, which makes them more vulnerable due to the fact that they don’t get to learn all those things that prevent them from hurting themselves.

Or, more relatable: If the government had tried making playgrounds safer 50 years ago, people would have ridiculed that government for such a nonsense. Children got hurt, they survived, they improved and didn’t hurt themselves again. They harden up, one mistake at a time.

Dismissing this as “times change” is invalid, because politics made these “times change” and saying “times change” completely ignores the fact that there are a few people making decisions which influence the lives of millions. They don’t even seem to realize, because they’re so busy with work or themselves.

Politics eventually made sure that, with each generation, the norm is slightly shifted towards something they want, over time disconnecting more and more people from a relatively natural way of living, and then combining that with providing an actually insignificant vocal minority the power to change everyones elses lives. See also: CCP catering more and more to carebears, slowly increasing the general amount of them every generation. Carebears crying on the forums, with CCP following suit, because it fits CCP’s agenda. Not to forget that, at the same time, they take measures to get rid of the non-carebears of “old times”.

How do you counter this, when the authority is virtually untouchable? The predictable, and actually politically abusable way it always worked, was that eventually there’s a tipping point when people are so pissed off that they grab the pitchforks. A possible scenario where this game is heading, with CCP possibly having a plan ready for when it happens. Then they’ll get praised for saving the game from an issue they’ve created in the first place. It’s a possibility! vOv

In real life, politicians have an advantage CCP doesn’t have. Politicians can set measures which, in the long term, make sure that children become more and more disconnected from their parents. They can add measures which (or don’t add preventive/countermeasures), in the long term, force people to work more hours (or force/make both parents work) to cover their costs of living, which translates into less time for their own children.

The “state” “helpfully” jumps in, providing some sort of day-care for the children with the added benefit of being able to raise the children, of course, with the mindset necessary for them to be good workers, voters and obedient citizens. No one, but maybe the brain-deadest person, would argue that a government intents to raise “critical thinkers”, unless “critical thinking” means “opposing anything which goes against the intended narrative”.

In the game, though, CCP does not have such luxury. Even banning people who openly conspire against them would be of no use (and actually counterproductive), because people can organize outside of the game and ways of circumventing bans are certainly achievable even for a big amount of people.

“How the hell does this translate to EVE ONLINE??”

Before CCP introduced the security-button and suspect state, the playerbase raised their children by themselves. The benefit of this was that EVE’s culture got passed on from generation to generation and those who were “too weak, or not cut out for it” eventually left. This culture was built around can-flipping, daring, theft, awoxing, etc. You know, the things EVE (highsec) once was pretty (in-)famous for.

NOW we have a situation where CCP has control of the children. They’ve nerfed highsec player interaction to the point where the old culture can not flourish anymore. When people say highsec is boring, then that’s damn right, but not because of a lack of CCP-provided-content. The content is still mostly the same, but people were quite happy for a very long time, because the players themselves provided the content for everyone else.

CCP now has this great new NPE, which more so than ever puts the children on a specific path CCP lays out for them. They’ve been doing that for a long while already, which was okay, as long as the “old generation” made sure it works out anyway. As Tippia often kept pointing out, a big amount of negative influence came from carebears in starter corps negatively influencing new players, thus often preventing proper injection of “culture”. This issue only grew, as far as i am aware. Exceptions like CAS exist, of course, like there’s always exceptions.

The “bad guys”, from the carebears POV, despite generally knowing that this happens, didn’t actually counter this. At least not to my knowledge. i do not know if a proper counter-movement ever happened, or how long it took until such counter-movement happened. It is apparent that even if something happened, it did not have any effect whatsoever. Again: As far as i know this never happened and the carebears actually had significant control over the new players.

And not to forget New-Player-Corps lead by people who, in no way or form, should have power over new players.

The modern path, now even more so than the last one, has absolutely nothing to do with other players. There was a time when there even was barely a path at all (“Here’s a Rubick’s Cube, go …”), yet the game kept growing due to exactly this fact. It attracted intelligent people and rejected anyone who couldn’t survive in this game based on the laws of nature. Back then also no one needed incentives to play. People loved playing because it was challenging. The rest of them, the “weak”, dropped out.

The future becomes even more dystopian. CCP hires a Ghost, who tries to figure out how to inject “adrenaline” (the primary drug that got - in the past - most people addicted to EVE in the first place!) by providing children with artifical stories they play through and later on talk about and connect with.

So what do you do?

You take back the children. You apply natural laws again, like in the “older ways” and take care of “retention rate” yourself by getting people hooked on “adrenaline”, like in the olden days. Highsec, the only place that matters for this, where new players start the game and EVE’s culture evolved to what it was before it got utterly destroyed by the very company that wouldn’t exist without it.

Anyone who doesn’t like adrenaline (there’s people who can’t live with that) shouldn’t be discouraged or dismissed at all, though. They’re still our children and need to be supported; but not protected, hand-held or flooded with ISK. They need to grow up in ways of making-mistakes, learning-by-doing and daring-to-be-bold. That beating challenges and working hard for what you do (what people willingly and happily did in this game for a long time) actually feels way more satisfying than how it works nowadays.

It is of utmost importance that the place where all this happens has to be highsec, because highsec is the very first place they are going to be around. Highsec is like the big city where a lot of people, who (seemingly) have nothing to do with each other, all live together. Highsec is not just an “area for noobs”, it is actually the centerpoint of the game, because there is where it has evolved and still continues to evolve, despite being crippled.

So what do you do? :slight_smile:

(“You”, from now on, means a lot of people all sharing the same goal)

• You act within the EULA and heavily punish anyone who doesn’t.
  • You swarm relevant starter corps and make them your new permanent residencies.
  • You swarm starter systems with small, but meaningful delegations and make them your permanent residencies.
  • You record as much about your doings around and with the children as you can. It is important to prevent and punish “bad apples” (aka spies) from making your efforts look bad.
  • You get the children hooked on “adrenaline”, which is - so far - still only possible through (whatever form of) PvP.

I know enough about the goons to be absolutely certain that all of this is within their capabilities. I’m not talking about KarmaFleet"Goons", btw, and I wouldn’t even call those goons in the first place.

When you do this, then you can turn around all the efforts CCP puts into it. They can’t and won’t ban you, because you will actually prove that doing this helps the game gaining more players. Apply the ways of the old, which all based on natural laws, and you will learn that there is a huge amount of people who actually love to play this game for what it offers and not for incentives.

It will allow you to make CCP reconsider their former and future choices.

Nowadays people need incentives to play. You can blame the game, or you can blame the players. I blame CCP, because they’ve created this modern environment, where creators, tinkerers, thinkers and socially disruptive don’t have any more ways of creating content in the big city, where actions actually have wide reaching, social and cultural influence.

There is, of course, also an even bigger amount of people who hate it exactly for that what the game was, but who really wants these people around anyway?? I don’t! If that makes me an elitist, so what? I bet this game has been filled with elitists being proud of the fact that they didn’t need to play any of these other games that care way more about appeasing to the masses than about providing interesting mechanics and gameplay. See also: The learning cliff.

Looking at the facts, it’s actually really easy to figure out which kind of player actually makes a healthy game: The thinkers, tinkerers, curious and daring. The exploring, the survivalists and socially disruptive. The game-changers and movement-creators.

This is not an easy task. It is literally effort by lots of people, for several ingame-generations, which translates to many months. In the past, these people simply were the players, but this has been changed. A counter to this change if of utmost importance, but asking CCP for it is like asking politicians to actually care about their people when there’s no election coming.

Please note that not once I implied that there is anything you can’t do. Not once did I imply, or hint at, a need for CCP to providing help. Nonsense. The best politicians are those politicians who stay out of the lives of the people they govern, as much as possible.

In case I eventually stop posting on the forums I’ve probably been banned for this post. :slight_smile: I’ve actually enjoyed writing it, though. Do with it as you wish. My time for actively playing EVE has passed, but it’s a great hobby to follow its development and evolution, and besides: I am only one man, while this needs many.

Have a nice day and thank you for reading. I again apologize for any mistakes I’ve made, despite looking through it several times)

3 Likes