Avatar Gameplay Polls and Discussion - WiS & Beyond

Hey!

Some time ago I made some polls regarding Avatar Gameplay in EVE, asking what players think on various parts of this thing. Time passed and now I would like to see what is the general mood on the topic.

Personally I love the way we make our avatars and I feel it would be awesome to be able to play with them in a good EVE setting. And I know that a lot of new players ask “Why I can’t play with this awesome Avatar that I just created?”

So here are some simple polls. Please, cast your votes if you think this is somehow relevant to you. Let’s show CCP what we think and feel about Avatar Gameplay. Voting is anonymous.

Alternatively, you can go and vote on the previous polls, they are still active. Would be awesome to see the Community opinions on the matter.

How would you feel if EVE developers announce that they are considering or in the process of developing a brand new prototype of Avatar Gameplay, similar but not limited to Walking in Stations?

• I would be filled with joy!
  • I would be neutral.
  • I would be very angry!

0 voters

If you are elected to have a say on whether and how Avatar Gameplay for EVE should be implemented, what approach would you have on the matter?

• I would stay away from the idea, cause there are so many things in the game that need to be addressed before we even start looking at Avatars.
  • I would encourage it, but only after Factional Warfare and Low Sec gameplay is modernized.
  • I would look for a way to implement it in Project Nova, but only after the FPS can stand on its own feet as a game.
  • I would make it a separate project, so that the other aspects of the game have the best possible manpower and resources set to them, while new devs work on the Avatar Gameplay aspect.
  • Other (please comment).

0 voters

Please comment on any specific things you wish. If you have any ideas for additional polls on the topic, send me an EVE-Mail, or you can make them yourself.

EDIT: Due to player suspicion for potential poll rigging (using alts and that sort) the polls were remade again, starting fresh, with votes set to be public. If you feel like you want to stand with your Avatar behind your vote, please vote again in the public polls. They have the same options as the initial polls. Sorry for any inconvenience this might bring.

If you feel like the polls do not represent your opinion correctly, please suggest improvements, new polls, or use the magic of the forums to make your own polls here. Of course, you can also comment and express your opinion on the matter, it is much appreciated.

:heart: :rocket: :sun_with_face:

5 Likes

The subject has been discussed to death for years.
It coulda been, it wasn’t. Let’s move on.

4 Likes

Or we could just let people discuss the features they want to see in the game and not dismiss them simply because it didn’t work the first time. Just because it “coulda been” doesn’t equate to it “can’t”. Everything that exists in EVE is a re-iteration of previous content that wasn’t perfect upon release.

4 Likes

Simply by trying to do it again will be a further waste of dev time that could have been spent on expanding and improving core gameplay: flying and blowing up spaceships.

And then you come across her … *snickers*

… and get robbed of everything you own.

And you will like it!

4 Likes

I choose separate project, but still available in EVE of course, when you log in.

3 Likes

Do you have any idea how much was involved in the idea?

I don’t know about you, but I certainly don’t have the power to prevent people from discussing anything they want. I merely point out that the idea has been more than thoroughly discussed in probably every aspect you can imagine and much more for well over a decade at least. Just because these things are new to you does not mean they are new ideas at all. Go ahead and do a little searching, there’s a lot of info on the subject out there. A lot. You might enjoy it.

That’s funny. :slight_smile: Like most EvE players at the time, I thought the whole WiS (walking in stations - avatar gameplay) would be pretty cool. Until ccp showed they were faceplanting on the whole thing and not willing and/or capable of developing both WiS and the core game of EvE at the same time. This is a huge subject of many years of discussion. I held out hope (albeit increasingly diminishing) that ccp might do it right without destroying the game until they removed the Captain’s Quarters. Removing the final vestige of the Incarna fiasco pretty much declared WiS was completely over for EvE.

but hey - you wanna talk about it, knock yourself out. You are certainly free to tilt at any windmills you want to regardless of how many lance-holes they already have in them.

Some think Pearl Abyss might do it, so you got that I guess. Go for it, w/e

I have been reading the other Avatar Gameplay topics and I do see that besides the great ideas, people are bitter about the whole thing. But we have all the reasons to revive the hope. After the acquisition CCP have the resources to allocate at least on a prototype for Avatar Gameplay. But I guess they will be extremely careful even when they think about it.

I heard that devs are considering an overhaul of the core EVE game engine, so that is a start.

It will take years upon years to get there, but there is still hope.

Please keep voting and discussing, as long as you are not tired of this whole thing. Pointing out the good reasons to have more immersive gameplay, will really help bring up the hope. With this topic we are just trying to see if folks are still interested in such a thing, keeping in mind that similar aspects of it are already in development in other games and many people like it.

And thanks to everyone that voted and discussed so far! :sun_with_face:

I didn’t vote, when I first saw this thread it had no replies, but had already had the vote count stacked by someone, so no point.

I’d have to give the same reply as many other things, what’s the point?

Besides parading around showing off art someone else created?

Votes are separate from comments. When the post was created some people voted, but there was some time before the first comment. No one is obliged to vote or comment. As I said, if you feel this topic is somehow relevant to you, if you care about these things, vote. If you want to write something, be it a suggestion or idea, then write it, no need to vote if you don’t feel like it. And please ignore this topic if you feel it is not relevant to you.

I have stated my intentions in the OP and I have no desire to rig the poll, modify it to my liking or anything of that sort. I have alts, but I will not use them to vote, that can be checked and confirmed by CCP.

Keep calm and carry on. Simple as that.

A no is still a no.

I would stay away from the idea, cause there are so many things in game blah blah why can’t we copy paste from the text in the poll goddamn it

Almost all of the gameplay in EVE Online is invested in space, to the point that there is always going to be stuff that pushes avatar gameplay further below the agenda. Not only bugfixes or reiteration on previously introduced content take priority, but also as far as new content goes, there are a lot of more interesting ideas on both CCP’s and players’ vision for the game. “Before we even start looking at avatars” implies that there will ever come a time all the possibilities for “space gameplay” will be exhausted. If we keep saying “OK, this and that needs to be done before we can come around to avatars”, can we really say that it is a desired feature?

The above paragraph is my train of thought in choosing the “Other” option in the second poll. I kinda feel that the other options are trying to force a perspective on the reader. I would stay away from the idea, because, well, I am not in favor of the idea. Someone else may feel that WiS should take priority over FW, but structure balancing requires more attention. Another may outright devote the majority of the resources to WiS etc. etc. Options should let the reader clarify their stance on the matter, but not put words in their mouth. If they want to express their reasoning, let them comment in the thread.

GTFO.

It always was and always will be a terrible idea.

Because you can’t bother to educate yourself on the topic, there are really 2 reasons why.

1. For it to be worthwhile, it’d have to be a full game. For it to be a full game it’d need a full dev team, effectively doubling the size of the studio on a gamble that, based on the market, probably wouldn’t pay off anyway.
  2. It would add exactly zero value. Every single idea anybody has ever proposed would be better served through a menu system. The sort of thing where having a physical body would be useful would either be incompatible with EVE (avatar combat), or flat out nonsense (parkour obstacle courses or something else stupid.)

However, you do bring up a good point. Maybe CCP needs to nerf the character creator so that people stop bringing this stupid idea back to the table every 3 days until the end of time.

Despite what anyone would say about this in the comments, i think the poll speaks pretty loudly for itself, even so far, but we’ll see how it goes.

1 Like

Good thing business decisions aren’t made by a small sample of self-selected poll respondents who aren’t being asked for any money.

How about we rephrase the question in the poll. You get avatar gameplay, but you have to pay $60 up front, a second monthly sub, and no EVE integration. Buy or pass? If you can’t find at least a million “yes” votes, the idea is just as horrible as it always was.

You can meaningfully link avatar combat to non-real time gameplay factors in Eve such as bumping scheduled structure timers or having an industry job complete faster (or slower). CCP devs have already discussed these possibilities.

Why can’t we see who voted for what, like this poll?

That is how you ferret out the alt votes that stack the poll.

1 Like

Not everyone wants their vote to be public. But I get your point. Given how a lot of folks here like to scam and cheat on many levels, I do agree that you are right to ask for more transparency. I want to prove to you that I don’t have intention to cheat, so I will see what I can do to make the existing polls public, or I will make them anew, with public votes. No problem.

So. As per request, here are the same polls starting fresh, but this time with public voting.

How would you feel if EVE developers announce that they are considering or in the process of developing a brand new prototype of Avatar Gameplay, similar but not limited to Walking in Stations?

• I would be filled with joy!
  • I would be neutral.
  • I would be very angry!

0 voters

If you are elected to have a say on whether and how Avatar Gameplay for EVE should be implemented, what approach would you have on the matter?

• I would make it a separate project, so that the other aspects of the game have the best possible manpower and resources set to them, while new devs would work on the Avatar aspect.
  • I would encourage it, but only after Factional Warfare and Low Sec gameplay are modernized.
  • I would stay away from the idea, cause there are too many aspects of the game that need to be addressed first, before we even start looking at avatars.
  • I would look for a way to implement it in Project Nova, but only after the FPS can stand on its own feet as a game.
  • Other (please comment).

0 voters

Here, now votes are public. I hope you enjoy. Polls are easy to make. So if you feel that the current polls are not representing your opinions, press the wheel on the right side of the editing panel and click on the Build Poll button and make a poll you like here.

1 Like