Banned Players need flags on char accounts

In the UK, you have to tick the box even for a CCJ.

Which Ive had, because an employer claimed they overpaid me and I refused to pay it back (on the grounds they were a bank and that door doesnt travel both ways) and missed the hearing on clerical grounds.

Needles to say I dont bother ticking it.

Seriously? Missed the bit about you working in the finance sector.

For certain jobs I can understand them asking but I’ve never encountered it in my line of work. That said I have had to go through security clearances and criminal record checks for certain contracts my employers were involved in. I’ve signed the official secrets act more times than I can remember too.

I pledged to conduct myself better on the forums, so I only say the following because he subject himself to intense scrutiny as a CSM candidate (who strongly I suspect will run again): Brewlar has an extensive history of posting very extreme, narrow-minded, and objectively naive views on botting, RMT, and other “bad actors”. Most of his ideas have been soundly rejected by the community, notably when he recently ran for CSM.

There are numerous other posts that have followed along the same lines. This thread is just one of many. Oddly enough, “public branding” has more merit than some of his other ideas, and while it has a considerable subjective component to it, the objective aspects far outweigh them.

Here’s the problem with public branding: public branding = CCP-sanctioned ostracization / weaponization of threats/framing = second class citizenship = not true clemency. Do it right, or don’t do it at all. It is not CCP’s place to directly or indirectly sanction the ostracization of or encourage the community to ostracize an individual. The community should make such decisions organically like they always have in the past. If players want to call out others for botting, RMT, racism, etc, the community can respond accordingly.

Regarding the forums specifically, forum rules are delicate but surprisingly flexible on ‘call out’ threads when crafted carefully - several such call out threads have persisted even after ISD has evaluated them. Threads calling out player misbehavior persist in “Crime and Punishment” if there is an accompanying “call to action”, and threads shredding individuals for their conduct in the context of “political controversies of relevance to New Eden” often persist in General Discussion (eg. the ongoing Noori Naarian + alts thread is a perfect example), etc. And even if forums are too restrictive… there is, of course, Reddit, where there is no shortage of controversy.

The community already does this very organically on forums and Reddit. Do you agree with Brewlar that this should also be done by CCP themselves? (Shown in game, listed on CCP website, accessible via ESI, etc?) Clarification would be appreciated.

Indeed, this proposal ignores the fact that certain classes of players are excluded as well as chronic/high-magnitude offenders.

Take this anonymous fellow, for example: I had this very entertaining (abridged) conversation with a random person who contacted me on Discord yesterday who is unlikely to get redemption.

XXX: BRO im trying to get back on eve online but im perma banned for 3 strikes by Senior CCP GM and for racism

Me: I mean, racism isn’t something that happens on accident :man_shrugging:

But this may interest you if you’re trying to get the ban lifted: Capsuleer Redemption | EVE Online

XXX: ■■■■■■■ christ dude

The following actions remain expressly prohibited and will still result in a permaban if the allegations are substantiated:

Extreme and repeated racism and/or hate speech

Me: :man_shrugging:

XXX: i emailed them so wish me luck, i wont distract you

Needless to say, I did not wish him luck or respond to him after that.

2 Likes

YEah, I mean, I totally see your point, and (C&P aside, I always was under the impression it was more lightly handled, being basically the comedy bargain bin run off of GD) I can even see how CCP might work edgey cases but he’s fixated on a subject to the point of assuming anyone who even corrects his grammar is pro-botting.

As your post, no I totally get the spirit, even was thinking it my self when he started about marking the offender permanently, just it was a bit too on the nose. No harm done, though.

Yeah, totally.

Suffice to say, I have no interest in working in finance again anyway.

Since 2008 its a mug’s game.

1 Like

If you read his CSM campaign thread, he categorically accused LITERALLY EVERYONE who disagreed with him for ANY reason (including the fact that his ideas where flawed on technological grounds) as being pro-botters. As a CSM candidate, he refused to accept constructive criticism, and he categorically refused to address the technological flaws of his ideas as well; instead, he responded to all reservations and opposition with insults.

I was the last post in the thread and had fun with it:

1 Like

Merchant Banker isn’t cockney rhyming slang for Wayne Kerr for nothing :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Sounds like that plonker Noori tbh, anybody that disagrees with him is goonscum.

1 Like

Oh jeezy creezy, I just thought maybe he got up this morning, stepped on a D4 and went GGRR RBOTTTEERRZZZ!!!

But I see its pretty engrained.

Jonah: +1 Like for that last one, Im all out of spuds for me love gun sadly. But they gave me a nice badge for being a good girl

As you can see Im in good company

3 Likes

But “Actions have Consequences”, right?

Otherwise, let players change their name…

–Gadget would still be Gadget, though

1 Like

There are problems with each side of this. Reddit can be brigaded, biased, etc and we are not always getting the word of what happened but what we think happened.

But there have been cases of CCP walking back a public name and shame (not mentioning any CSM names here) I think this is the reason they will not do this, it has too many real world consequences. But a guy can dream.

As to the scarlet letter proposal? Yeah, I will pass widely around that one. If they are back they have been forgiven. I think it also comes down to what IS forgivable?

I mean death threats? Racism in all its ugly forms? Botting? RMT? What crime would you decide is not that bad and to let back into the game.

IF you let them in will it be good for the game or just giving them another kick at the can so they can ‘Go out in a Big way’ this time?

m

3 Likes

If CCP decides to let previously banned players back in EVE then it’s their decision and I a good one in my opinion.
Your idea of a flag on them is childish, ludicrous and mean-spirited. Plus it gives more work to the coders who already have enough on their plate.

1 Like

Hey now, we do some actual news in between providing the Most Trusted Name in Smug.

3 Likes

I have asked that they post the numbers in a few months.

This is a bad idea, for obvious reasons.

I think we all know what you’re talking about… Briscgate, where Brisc promised the removal of Red Dots months ago but hasn’t delivered.

Yeah, that merits a public execution right there. Vote of no confidence! Impeachment! Throwing of tomatoes and feces! You had it coming, @Brisc_Rubal , you lying and deceitful bastard!

:no_entry_sign::red_circle::no_entry_sign::red_circle::no_entry_sign::red_circle:

:no_entry_sign::red_circle::no_entry_sign::red_circle::no_entry_sign::red_circle:

I’m pretty sure that’s what Mike is referring to… :crazy_face:

BTW @Mike_Azariah you could have just said “no” as the answer to my question :wink: . And @Brisc_Rubal if you read the above you’d see Mike doesn’t support OP’s proposal. Damn you and your “I respond as I read” shenanigans. You and your “5-minute doctor’s visit” community engagement outside of your nullbloc… pfft… :japanese_ogre:

2 Likes

Have you ever known me to not explain?

m

2 Likes

Did you ever explain the thing about the dudes with the camera heads?

I’M WORKING IN IT ROME WASNT BUILT IN A DAY GOD

4 Likes

Briscgate II: Attack of The Red Dots

This time, it’s personal.

2 Likes