Do you think scams should be banned in eve and do you think ccp should make people more aware that they could get scamed in eve?

Awwww my Best scam has disppeared :frowning:

CCP PLEASE xD

I liken scams with people that gate camp in low and null. You can avoid the scams and you can avoid the low and null gate camps.

Ganking is not possible to avoid and if you are targeted by gankers there are no viable defense modules either. So lets talk about that

Or just anyone in general, it’s not required to fall prey to them to learn how to avoid them.

Yesterday I saw a scam on Youtube, where a channel was offering to double your BTC. Send one and immediately receive one back.

It was a bit deceptive, because the channel was using the SpaceX logo and made use of a looping video when Elon musk was supposedly talking about the recent StarShip launch. But they were using an AI generated voice, and made him start talking about their BTC doubling opportunity.

EVE’s scams make things like that immediately stand out, where as people less initiated might fall prey to them.

1 Like

Or go to the 1000000000 other ‘ganking is bad’ threads

No, they should not be banned. Yes they should be allowed, however CCP has to make sure that their mechanics are robust enough so that they are not super easy to be used to scam from, it is called game balance.

1 Like

Having played many online games, I can say one thing:

Banning scams wouldn’t stop scams from happening in the game.

When I started playing EVE I found it refreshing to see how EVE dealt with scams that plague every online game by embracing the scams as part of the identity of this hostile universe.

It allows CCP to spend their anti-cheating efforts on more important problems like bots and RMT, it broadens the gameplay options for players who like pulling off scams (not me), is a safe opportunity for people to learn life lessons (I once learned by losing some pixels in a different game as a kid by trusting someone I shouldn’t) and as part of this hostile universe the act of deceiving other players is a major selling point for this game that CCP uses in their marketing about major heists.

I would go as far as to say that scams are good for this game.

I just wish they would spam less.

4 Likes

Combat drones, ECM, tank-not-yield (Damage Control in Lows), Rigs.

Yes, a miner would have to make a sacrifice of some sort, but that is what balance is all about. He has been given a range of choices; whether and how to use them is up to him.

2 Likes

‘Do You Think Scams Should Be Banned In Eve ?’

Only the biggest scam of the lot…people inventing Eve ‘problems’ to satisfy their obsessive compulsive urge to post about some issue on behalf of some mysterious ‘they’. That one should be banned.

2 Likes

Combat drones, ECM, tank-not-yield (Damage Control in Lows), Rigs

This stuff does a poor job of avoiding getting ganked.

Mining, particularly in high sec is a causal activity that doesn’t make a lot of ISK which makes it balanced.

But my point is if you want to avoid scam, you just avoid them, but if you want to avoid gank, you cant

What a load of nonsense. I’ve mined all over the place and never been ganked mining. It is easy to avoid being ganked. A few basic, common sense, rules reduce your chance of being ganked by 99%.

It is evident to most people that you have neither ganked or been ganked, and really haven’t a clue what you are talking about.

2 Likes

Lets hear them wise ass?

1 Like

And your point is flawed, Dchill, skewed by your insistence that ganking is a great evil within the game.

If you (or I) wish to avoid a scam, it’s likely that the scam will not succeed. But for many other people, through haste, greed, ignorance or some other means, the scam will indeed work. That is why scamming still happens.

Likewise, some folks will never be successfully ganked, because they have used the resources available to them to avoid such an event. Others, believe me, will get ganked; some of them, repeatedly.

I once ganked someone in a fail-fit retriever. His comment in Local was ‘already replaced!’. And yes, he exited the station in a retriever fitted in precisely the same way. I know that because I ganked him again, a day or so later. I am, after all, a compassionate person.

3 Likes

Ganking is a complex and multifaceted issue

1. Most people don’t know its a thing, and don’t take even the most basic precautions. So there is a lack of awareness which contributes to the problem.
  2. Even people who are aware are left with no good options to fit against or otherwise avoid being ganked

Ah…the remarkable Eve psychic power display again. Gosh, did you train at Stanford Research Institute or something in order to know what ‘most people’ know ? Can you bend spoons as well ?

I see zero evidence that you have even logged in for over 6 months, yet somehow you psychically know what ‘most people’ in the game think.

You’ve changed your framing of what you see as the problem, by qualifying it with the inclusion of an adjective. That is commendable in you, Dchill, but the word you’ve used comes loaded with subjective associations.

Of course there are ‘good’ options (ones that work), but they may come with less attractive companions - downsides. ‘Good’ cannot be defined by you and then applied to the generality of players.

I suppose I should be grateful that you thought more carefully about your response to me. I do appreciate it. Let us, in a spirit of comradeship, continue to probe the ineffable attraction of EVE to the denizens of Highsec.

4 Likes

I agree with you: Higgs mining with Higgs piloting in highsec with a friendly structure or any NPC station in system is not a good option to fit against or otherwise avoid being ganked. It’s a great option to fit against or otherwise avoid being ganked.

1 Like

You cant be serious?

Here is a link to an interesting discussion on Higgs rig What is the point of the Higgs Rig?

Imo its not a great option, but im not sure what is because ganking is a complex and multifaceted issue :slight_smile:

I am serious.

Here is a link to an interesting discussion on Higgs rig Mining Became A Frustration Nightmare - #57 by Io_Koval

IMO it’s a great option.

1 Like

It’s true that many new players might be unaware of ganking. I was one of them. Imagine my surprise at losing my ship to a gank, all those years ago!

The fault, though, was my own. A lack of preparedness, a lack of inquisitiveness, and a fatal lack of attention did for me. And quite right, too.

Most seasoned miners in Highsec are perfectly aware of ganking. They’re not new players, and so have no excuse for continuing to suffer the same fate - over and over again. They were new players once, Dchill, and have apparently learned nothing over the years.

I think Rookie Chat is a complete dog’s dinner of a feature, which should be retired until a better-performing format can be devised. But it is currently the place for new players to be warned of what might await them as they step out to mine Veldspar in their shiny new Ventures. Or whatever. When I did it, I went straight out to an 0.5 system - trembling, to be sure - and mined my little heart out. But then, I was determined to do it.

Ignorance, arrogance, indolence and stupidity are what seem to hold some EVE players back - and no amount of modules and mechanics will ever fix that.

Are we done here?

1 Like

I truly cannot believe the bs people will fall for today.