Kshal Aideron for CSM 18 (new player experience community, accessibility)

For those who don’t know me (yet), my name is Kshal Aideron. I started playing Eve in January 2020. Here are my accomplishments in my 3.5 years of playing Eve:

• NPSI pvper
  • PVP and PVE FC
  • CEO of the public community Eve Rookies
  • Fanfest 2023 player presentator
  • CSM 17 candidate
  • Eve content creator

If you’d like my complete story up until now, please read: About Kshal Aideron

The TL;dr version of my story is 2020 wasn’t the first time I played Eve. I tried once in 2015 and again in 2018. The first time I couldn’t figure out how to get undocked and the second I did get undocked but couldn’t figure out how to fly to where I needed to go.

In other words, the entry into the game sucked so much it made me rage quit not once but twice.

The third time was a charm and the day I started playing Eve I also decided to try streaming as kind of a little pet marketing project. I didn’t think anyone would want to watch a 40 year old woman struggle through Eve but I quickly got around 7 regulars that helped me navigate the game.

At some point I’d have random newbies come into my chat to ask questions. At first I wondered why but then I realized something. Compared to some of the other streamers that were online I had few people and I’d engage with them. Instead of their questions scrolling by and not being seen by the streamer, they’d actually get their answer.

This was where I found “my place” in Eve. Helping other new players so they didn’t rage uninstall Eve like I did.

A year after playing I decided to address the problem of tutorial articles being too long and throwing in needless information. I created EveRookies.com. My intent was to put tutorials and other information like the Eve Terminology page. This lead me to making YouTube videos since I was also sick of people taking 20 minutes to address a 20 second issue.

At around 8 months into Eve I started FCing fleets. For the past 2.5 years, nearly every other Wednesday you can find me taking out a newbro roam. Players get free ships or SRP if they bring their own. We encourage pilots to try new roles (including FC), and go out and shoot stuff. If a newbro gets overwhelmed and lost, no worries we’ll slow down or come back for you.

A year into Eve the open community Eve Rookies was born. We started doing entry level vanguard incursions with handout Praxis. I was told that the incursion community didn’t need any new groups and I’d fail. Well, 2.5 years later we have ran 407 incursion fleets and have seen 549 individual pilots come to try it out. Sometime towards the end of the first year someone came to me and asked if they could run FOB (forward base) fleets under Eve Rookies.

Then came the mining fleets, mission and ratting. Eve Rookies now has partners out in Null and I’m actively looking to get more groups that do open fleets to come join what’s now probably a coalition.

The reason I’m talking about Eve Rookies and not myself is because I firmly believe the proof is in the pudding. For over 3 years my mission has been to help new players and make their new player experience better. I’ve learned over the past year that community is the way to do this.

Here’s what I’ve managed to accomplish to date:

Fleet Name 2022 2023 (so far)
Incursion fleets p/m 18 + 21 new pilots 20 + 33 new pilots
FOB fleets p/m 1 + 2 new pilots 4 + 4 new pilots
Mission fleets p/m 1 + unknown 1 + unknown
Mining fleets p/m 4 + 14 new pilots
Ratting fleets p/m 3 + 4 new pilots
PvP fleets p/m 2 + 18 new pilots

We’ve completed 7 months and so far Eve Rookies is running an average of 34 fleets a month and have 73 people who’ve never flown with Eve Rookies before trying out a fleet of some kind.

I don’t track how many people stick around, but at the time of CSM17 elections the Discord was around 300 people. As of today we’re verging on almost 1700. With the help of my stellar leadership and all of the FCs that believe in getting people active in fleets, we’ve created a place people WANT to be.

So the 3 areas I want to focus on are as follows…

New player experience: Eve is a game that heavily depends on its players and our engagement to continue existing. If we didn’t have a stream of new players coming in and getting engaged with the game, New Eden would become a boring place pretty quickly.

CCP has put in a lot of work since Fanfest 2022 on the new player experience. We have a beautifully engaging NPE, had an addition to the tutorial in the form of mining, updates to the career missions (as well as bug fixes) and the AIR Career Achievements.

The last expansion was aimed at new players but they’re still hitting a brick wall in regards to finding people to run those homefront sites with. They have to come across someone who knows someone, a post on reddit, the Eve forum, Facebook group, Youtube video or stream.

So this directly leads me into…

Community development: I didn’t believe that community is everything in Eve when I started. All I saw was the terrible experience my husband was having in his corp and I swore I’d remain a solo player. But then I found the NPSI community.

One thing I’ve learned in the past 3.5 years is a community can be a corporation and alliance in Eve but not every community is a corporation/alliance. I don’t “need” a non-npc ticker on my characters to be part of a community. All I have to do is show up and fly with people regularly or talk to them in Discord.

My two main goals is to try to:

• Get non corporation communities to get more visibility within Eve

• In game tools for communities. From being able to push in game calendar events to Google Calendars to being able to allow people access to hangers that aren’t part of the corp the hanger belongs to.

I’m sure there’s some folks over at CCP laughing at this because I think this comes out of my mouth everytime I get to talk to someone about fleets or community.

Accessibility to Eve: in the past 2 years, I’ve had the gamut of players come through the doors with different levels of ability. Of course we have those that don’t read, speak or listen well. We’ve had those come through with autism all along the spectrum. We also have players with physical disabilities that even use assistive devices to play.

Personally, I like inclusivity and hate the thought that someone isn’t joining a fleet because they don’t think they can hear the commands. Or that they don’t think they can do an activity because they can’t use the Q button to align.

What’s sad is there’s some QOL additions that could be made to address some of the accessibility issues without breaking the game or giving an advantage to bots. So why don’t we ask for them in order to get people even more involved with this game we love!

I’d love to know more ways from all of you that parts of the game are inaccessible.

I know from last year’s campaign there will be those that will hold my playtime of 3.5 years against me. I remember seeing the comment on my CCP interview, “What can she do that someone who’s played over 10 years can’t?” I think my accomplishments speak for themselves.

Like with last year, I’m not promising any grand changes. However, once again I will promise:

• My 100% dedication to the CSM for the duration
  • To listen to the players and bring forth issues where I can
  • To stay impartial (remember, I’m an NPSI pilot - no blues)
  • To lend my real life marketing experience and knowledge where I can
  • To be as transparent as I’m legally allowed

And of course to do my best to live by the Eve Rookies Core Values.

17 Likes

Can’t think of a better candidate for the CSM than Kshal. She cares about eve, and has helped countless new players find their way in the game.

1 Like

Sounds like you’re doing great work for the community. Good luck on your campaign. :smiley:

1 Like

I am impressed with Kshal. If you have not checked out the eve rookies community, you should. Lots of good material and people.

1 Like

Cheers! Thank you guys for your kind words. :purple_heart: The support is much appreciated!

@Kshal_Aideron would you back any idea mentioned below as CSM member?

1. Insane idea - pay with PLEX in NES for extra dev time
  2. Quafe+ is from "biomass" (...or corpse reprocessing)
  3. Little things / Small QoL suggestions - Better Visibility Of Other Players’ PI Networks
  4. Little things / Small QoL suggestions - 13 requests for Stack Split enhancment since Jun’18
  5. Little things / Small QoL suggestions - PI KB-shortcuts for toggling between groups of structures

#1 - in real life I actually work in a space that allows for “crowd funded” projects (from those that already pay for things piece meal or via subscription). This idea isn’t insane nor is it strange to me. In fact one of my current projects is getting ready to launch something like this. So I like the idea and support it and since I’m familiar with the concept even advise CCP if they were interested.

#2 I’m not into PI or industry but it sounds like something weird and disgusting that would exist in New Eden.

#3 unfortunately like I said, I don’t PI. I don’t know if there would be some reason you wouldn’t want other players to see the PI networks. I’d need to hear the pros and cons from those who do PI before I could say yes or no.

#4 Not only would I support it, but there’s a lot of little QOL things on the thread that I think could be nice for a majority of players. I especially liked the timer for the jettison.

#5 Again, not a PI person but from the description it’s pretty clear what the problem is and it doesn’t look like it would be a huge deal to create the shortcuts. So I’d have no problems bringing this up.

Like I said in my thread, my main area of expertise and passion is for new players and communities. But I’d absolutely do my best to understand problems in other areas in order to bring it to CCP if necessary.

1 Like
  1. What can CCP get right?
  2. What can CCP get wrong?
  3. What do you wish existed in-game that doesn’t?
  4. What exists in-game that you wish didn’t?
  5. What exists in-game that you think ought to continue to exist?
  6. What doesn’t exist in-game that you hope never comes into existence?
  7. How would you improve PI?
  8. How would you improve the entire corporation UI?
1 Like
  1. Focusing on the new player experience. By engaging new players and teaching them how to do basic things, we’re setting them up for a better future in New Eden.

2. Starting things and either not tying up loose ends or… SQUIRREL and we’re off to something else. The NPE is a really good example of this. After adding mining to the NPE and tidying up the career missions, we were supposed to get an exploration tutorial. No idea if this is even still part of CCP’s plans. So I guess we can also throw communication in here.

3. The ability to schedule fleets ahead of time on the fleet finder. One of the largest problems with getting new players connected to fleet activity is visibility to groups actually putting on the fleets.

Runner up to this is a better way to X-UP for fleets. I’m actually having to have waitlist software programmed to help Eve Rookies manage our fleets because there’s no infrastructure within the game to help our FCs schedule and manage the actual fleet.

1. The in game ads pointed directly at new players. As a marketing professional, I fully understand the need to monetize the game. However, I think the timing is wrong and counter productive. For example, one of the offers I’ve seen is omega at a stellar 1st month price. A newbro gets it then doesn’t know what to do with it and feels like they wasted money. Pretty counter productive in my personal opinion.

2. Two extremely poker hot subjects are needlejack filaments and skill injectors. Needlejack filaments help players get out into null to places they might not have thought to go to in the first place. it isn’t only NPSI groups or small gangs using them. Explorers use them as well and it helps them get undocked and into the “more dangerous” area of the game. Personally, on my newbro roams it easily saves me 30 minutes of flying through nothing and losing player’s interest.

The other thing is the skill injectors. Eve Rookies exists because of LSI. I was able to get the skills I needed to play the booster and FC the incursion fleets. The alternative would have been to buy a character with the skill, but I wanted to play on Kshal. Not some character I didn’t make.

1. Golden Ammo and other pay to win elements. No, I don’t think LSI are pay to win. They’ll never teach a player situational awareness, solo pvp or how to fly in a fleet. Those you only learn by doing. However, anything that you can buy and use to trump situational awareness and actual player skill is a no go for me.

2. As I stated above, I don’t PI. This isn’t my idea of fun. Maybe that’s where I’d start… making the set up and actually doing it not suck. Don’t ask me what this looks like in real life though!

3. Oh boy, how much am I allowed to write here? I HATE the corp UI (and the way permissions are set up btw). I’d 100% support an overhaul of the entire thing. I’d also 100% support a better way to save things vs. having to save before going onto the next section even though you’re dealing with the same character still.

1 Like

WOW! you’ve given the most in depth answers of all the candidates so far.

1. The ability to schedule fleets ahead of time on the fleet finder. One of the largest problems with getting new players connected to fleet activity is visibility to groups actually putting on the fleets.

You’re the first candidate to speak about this and I love it.

WOW, wow. so good. You’re also the first candidate that has me lost for words. I just keep saying wow. And I didn’t even know that these were things until I read your answers.

1. Two extremely poker hot subjects are needlejack filaments and skill injectors. Needlejack filaments help players get out into null to places they might not have thought to go to in the first place. it isn’t only NPSI groups or small gangs using them. Explorers use them as well and it helps them get undocked and into the “more dangerous” area of the game. Personally, on my newbro roams it easily saves me 30 minutes of flying through nothing and losing player’s interest.

You’re right many players have spoken to this. Lots of disagreement here from other candidates, but I’m with you on this one.

I feel you. Ive had a very similar experience though I really like Dutch Gunners thinking on the matter, he makes a really good case against them. It’s also reflective of your answer to question 7.

1. Oh boy, how much am I allowed to write here? I HATE the corp UI (and the way permissions are set up btw). I’d 100% support an overhaul of the entire thing. I’d also 100% support a better way to save things vs. having to save before going onto the next section even though you’re dealing with the same character still.

You passed, lol, I agree.

I’d heart your reply but I’m all out of hearts.

1 Like

You asked some pretty good questions. :wink:

1 Like

Support :+1:

Will you oppose RMT and Gambling operations being run off TOR and other means, Kshal Aideron?

I don’t even have to be voted CSM to tell you that if I found out someone was doing it (and had evidence) I’d 100% report it to CCP.

If you ask anyone from the Eve Rookies community I have a pretty low tolerance for drama and toxicity. As far as I’m concerned, violating the EULA/TOS knowingly falls right into my intolerances.

2 Likes

Here’s the interview we had on the Canuck Capsuleers Chronicles last weekend.

Enjoy!

2 Likes

Thanks for having me on! It was a lot of fun. :wink:

2 Likes

It was our pleasure :slight_smile:
Thanks again for your time!

1 Like

I something that would really help accessibility would be the option to increase the size of the cursor in the game. Currently I think it is too small.

CMS 18
You are all welcome to advertise
introduce yourself on one of the largest German Discord servers
And to advertise 1300+ are waiting for you Respect Honor Passion

The candidates are invited LIVE in the stream

And with LIVE translation English to German !!
introduce yourself in an interview and ask questions
to be answered by German speaking players
Yours sincerely (Neo ceo RHP)

I something that would really help accessibility would be the option to increase the size of the cursor in the game. Currently I think it is too small.

100% and that’s honestly a no brainer low hanging fruit.

1 Like

EVE is also kind of a social platform where people meet new people and make new friends. Because of this, I think an important feature would be to have private chats and EVE mails end-to-end encrypted.

1 Like