Join the conversation here (Nehmen Sie hier an der Diskussion teil): Rico for CSM
Für Deutsche: Rico for CSM 18 - QoL changes, accessibility and more (EN/DE) - #13 by Rico_Shikkoken
My Eve online story
I began my career by being pulled into a corp designed to scam newbros which offered shares and a terrible buyback scheme to squeeze as much isk out of new, naive players as it could. This corp eventually collapsed but some of the victims from it came together to form a new corp which was based in low sec. This had some success until bad management lead to accusations being thrown around and the corp eventually collapsing. I then moved to a C5 wormhole group where I became a recruiter. This group ultimately voted to merge with another but I did not fit in with the new culture so decided to leave and started flying solo in faction warfare. I was later head hunted by one of the old members of the C5 group who wanted me to be his head of industry for his new C2 corp. I accepted. This corp was successful for a while but for multiple reasons it eventually disbanded, this coincided with my change from the EU to the AU timezone. After this I decided to return to faction warfare space and started my own corp drawing on the mistakes of my former corps to help. We joined a calmil alliance before ultimately merging with another AU timezone corp. This is where I am currently.
In my eve career I have created personal tools as well as corp tools using the ESI, python and a lot of hacking things together. I have written reports and given presentations for a variety of things.
My areas of expertise. In which areas of the game do I feel I am the most knowledgeable? What qualities set me apart from other candidates?
Well my real life expertise is computational science (I have jumped between computational chemistry and computational neuroscience). I am good at looking at data and drawing sensible conclusions from it. I am also good at crafting documents which may sound boring but is important for behind the scenes management.
I am also partially colourblind so am aware of the struggles relating to things like ECM modules and visual wormhole identification (especially C1-3), I firmly believe nothing in eve should be an eye test.
I run eve under linux and although native support is not a reasonable request I would advocate that CCP test proposed changes with the commonly used compatibility tools so that the linux community isn’t denied eve online access.
Having played primarily in faction warfare space and wormhole space I believe these are the areas of the game I am most familiar with. I have a reasonably good knowledge of the mechanics surrounding industry in the game.
Not so new that I am clueless yet not so old that I can’t remember what it is like to be new to eve, I believe in advocating for quality of life improvements that will help improve the game for everyone and retain new players. For example a copy and paste feature for PI would be nice. Join the discord to learn more about the things I am advocating for and suggest new things as well. I am here to listen, identify the problem to be solved, then add the issue to the list I have. Remember I am not advocating for any sort of large overhaul rather quality of life, accessibility and balance type changes.
Why are you applying for the CSM?
In the pursuit of greater things the little things are often overlooked. Yet mechanics made needlessly more complex by virtue of a bad interface will serve to give existing players frustration and drive newer players away. Take the skills menu for example. Say you want to find a skill to give you more CPU, you can’t simply search for that and require either 1) existing game knowledge 2) external tools or 3) advice from other players. I’m applying to CSM to advocate for those sort of changes, to make the game more accessible, to represent the linux community and the eve community at large.
What can players expect from me?
I love the lore of eve, making the Dr. Who crossover event my single most hated thing to ever happen. You can expect me to advocate for sensible story directions.
I will always ask the following questions about new suggested changes 1) Is it fun? 2) Does it fit within the philosophy of eve? 3) Are there unintended consequences of this change?
If elected I intend to construct reports for the different things I will be advocating for and share them on the discord. I will use this to ensure I have an informed position when discussing with CCP representatives.
Thank you for taking your time to read this and I would finally like to say I am not that active on the forums but if you jump into the discord I would be happy to answer any questions you have there or discuss anything with you in more detail.
My list so far
don’t like something? Want something added? Join the discord!
- Nothing should be an eye test ie visual wormhole identification or distinguishing ECM modules.
- copy and paste feature for PI
- Integrate some external tools into eve. For example you can view the market for any region using ESI, this should also be possible in game.
- When anchoring structures more obvious notifications pertaining to timers should be provided (a group had issues where they could not set the timer)
- Consider expansion of the edencom ship line and making them more viable.
- double click a signature to center probes when scanning.
- search skills by effects, not just names, consider reformatting layout to something more like aideron.org to make the skills easier to understand for newer players.
- crew pods animation when ships are destroyed (it’s not just your pod trying to escape!)
- advertising and expansion of English speaking AU TZ.
- rebalance battlefields and Ihub LP payouts in FW space.
- FW seems to favour farmers too much, plexes too easy to escape and pvp not necessarily encouraged.
- Rework shipcasters to be more than just titan bridging, after all that hype it needs to be more interesting!
- Include a market tutorial for new players, eves system is more complicated than most games!
- Add advantage to the relavent ESI endpoint for FW.
- Dscan auto refresh option - no one wants to sit there pressing a key over and over!
- Look at improving the griffin navy, some believe it is under powered compared to the other factions EWAR frigates.
- running rendeavous sites should give slight faction standing bonuses.
- add logi to killmails, if you rep someone who gets a kill you should be on the mail.
- add additional static to C5/C6 whs to encourage more PvP.
- Add rearm ship button that refills ammo in station and creates multibuy if it doesn’t have enough to fill it back to the original cargo before last undock.
- Add streamer mode to game to help make it easier for content creators to stream or make videos without worrying about giving away key intel.
- Increase max number of bookmarks in a folder.
- Expand corp projects to include more FW projects
- Add option to adjust the size of the in game cursor, so it is easier to see for those who may have difficulty with this.
- Change font so everyone can see the difference between 0 and O easily. Allow font resizing in all windows
- Stack neuts, ECM and smartbombs on the rack.