Rico for CSM 18 - QoL changes, accessibility and more (EN/DE)

Join the conversation here (Nehmen Sie hier an der Diskussion teil): Rico for CSM
Für Deutsche: Rico for CSM 18 - QoL changes, accessibility and more (EN/DE) - #13 by Rico_Shikkoken
My Eve online story

I began my career by being pulled into a corp designed to scam newbros which offered shares and a terrible buyback scheme to squeeze as much isk out of new, naive players as it could. This corp eventually collapsed but some of the victims from it came together to form a new corp which was based in low sec. This had some success until bad management lead to accusations being thrown around and the corp eventually collapsing. I then moved to a C5 wormhole group where I became a recruiter. This group ultimately voted to merge with another but I did not fit in with the new culture so decided to leave and started flying solo in faction warfare. I was later head hunted by one of the old members of the C5 group who wanted me to be his head of industry for his new C2 corp. I accepted. This corp was successful for a while but for multiple reasons it eventually disbanded, this coincided with my change from the EU to the AU timezone. After this I decided to return to faction warfare space and started my own corp drawing on the mistakes of my former corps to help. We joined a calmil alliance before ultimately merging with another AU timezone corp. This is where I am currently.

In my eve career I have created personal tools as well as corp tools using the ESI, python and a lot of hacking things together. I have written reports and given presentations for a variety of things.

My areas of expertise. In which areas of the game do I feel I am the most knowledgeable? What qualities set me apart from other candidates?

Well my real life expertise is computational science (I have jumped between computational chemistry and computational neuroscience). I am good at looking at data and drawing sensible conclusions from it. I am also good at crafting documents which may sound boring but is important for behind the scenes management.

I am also partially colourblind so am aware of the struggles relating to things like ECM modules and visual wormhole identification (especially C1-3), I firmly believe nothing in eve should be an eye test.

I run eve under linux and although native support is not a reasonable request I would advocate that CCP test proposed changes with the commonly used compatibility tools so that the linux community isn’t denied eve online access.

Having played primarily in faction warfare space and wormhole space I believe these are the areas of the game I am most familiar with. I have a reasonably good knowledge of the mechanics surrounding industry in the game.

Not so new that I am clueless yet not so old that I can’t remember what it is like to be new to eve, I believe in advocating for quality of life improvements that will help improve the game for everyone and retain new players. For example a copy and paste feature for PI would be nice. Join the discord to learn more about the things I am advocating for and suggest new things as well. I am here to listen, identify the problem to be solved, then add the issue to the list I have. Remember I am not advocating for any sort of large overhaul rather quality of life, accessibility and balance type changes.

Why are you applying for the CSM?

In the pursuit of greater things the little things are often overlooked. Yet mechanics made needlessly more complex by virtue of a bad interface will serve to give existing players frustration and drive newer players away. Take the skills menu for example. Say you want to find a skill to give you more CPU, you can’t simply search for that and require either 1) existing game knowledge 2) external tools or 3) advice from other players. I’m applying to CSM to advocate for those sort of changes, to make the game more accessible, to represent the linux community and the eve community at large.

What can players expect from me?

I love the lore of eve, making the Dr. Who crossover event my single most hated thing to ever happen. You can expect me to advocate for sensible story directions.

I will always ask the following questions about new suggested changes 1) Is it fun? 2) Does it fit within the philosophy of eve? 3) Are there unintended consequences of this change?

If elected I intend to construct reports for the different things I will be advocating for and share them on the discord. I will use this to ensure I have an informed position when discussing with CCP representatives.

Thank you for taking your time to read this and I would finally like to say I am not that active on the forums but if you jump into the discord I would be happy to answer any questions you have there or discuss anything with you in more detail.

My list so far
don’t like something? Want something added? Join the discord!

• Nothing should be an eye test ie visual wormhole identification or distinguishing ECM modules.
  • copy and paste feature for PI
  • Integrate some external tools into eve. For example you can view the market for any region using ESI, this should also be possible in game.
  • When anchoring structures more obvious notifications pertaining to timers should be provided (a group had issues where they could not set the timer)
  • Consider expansion of the edencom ship line and making them more viable.
  • double click a signature to center probes when scanning.
  • search skills by effects, not just names, consider reformatting layout to something more like aideron.org to make the skills easier to understand for newer players.
  • crew pods animation when ships are destroyed (it’s not just your pod trying to escape!)
  • advertising and expansion of English speaking AU TZ.
  • rebalance battlefields and Ihub LP payouts in FW space.
  • FW seems to favour farmers too much, plexes too easy to escape and pvp not necessarily encouraged.
  • Rework shipcasters to be more than just titan bridging, after all that hype it needs to be more interesting!
  • Include a market tutorial for new players, eves system is more complicated than most games!
  • Add advantage to the relavent ESI endpoint for FW.
  • Dscan auto refresh option - no one wants to sit there pressing a key over and over!
  • Look at improving the griffin navy, some believe it is under powered compared to the other factions EWAR frigates.
  • running rendeavous sites should give slight faction standing bonuses.
  • add logi to killmails, if you rep someone who gets a kill you should be on the mail.
  • add additional static to C5/C6 whs to encourage more PvP.
  • Add rearm ship button that refills ammo in station and creates multibuy if it doesn’t have enough to fill it back to the original cargo before last undock.
  • Add streamer mode to game to help make it easier for content creators to stream or make videos without worrying about giving away key intel.
  • Increase max number of bookmarks in a folder.
  • Expand corp projects to include more FW projects
  • Add option to adjust the size of the in game cursor, so it is easier to see for those who may have difficulty with this.
  • Change font so everyone can see the difference between 0 and O easily. Allow font resizing in all windows
  • Stack neuts, ECM and smartbombs on the rack.
6 Likes

@Rico_Shikkoken

Added my current list of positions, I will try update it as it changes on the discord but note it may end up being slightly behind the current version

@Rico_Shikkoken

1. What has CCP got correct?
  2. What has CCP got incorrect?
  3. What do you wish existed in-game that doesn’t?
  4. What exists in-game that you wish didn’t?
  5. What exists in-game that you think ought to continue to exist?
  6. What doesn’t exist in-game that you hope never comes into existence?
  7. How would you improve PI?
  8. How would you improve the entire corporation UI?

@Rhett_Schouten
What has CCP got correct
This is quite difficult to answer as I believe CCP have got a lot of things correct especially when compared to other MMOs so I will list a few:

• Inactivity is not punished - other MMOs being inactive means you lag behind in terms of skill compared to your comrades and in some key items (such as pets) will die if you don’t feed them.
  • Skill injectors (controversial I know) - Skill injectors allow individuals or organizations to allow junior members to catch up in ability to some extent to their more senior counterparts without having the only option to wait a long time. Earned isk can be converted to skill points, but at diminishing returns as you increase your skill point max. In the second corp I was in, I was provided 2 skill injectors to fly a T1 version of a doctrine ship, without that my ability to contribute (and therefore have fun) would have been much more limited.
  • The story - although not perfect the lore of eve is deep and fascinating, it does not need there to be constant war between two factions, a constantly introduced and defeated existential threat or a simple binary of “good guys” “bad guys” like many other games fall foul of. This story makes the world of eve even more interesting.
  • The ESI. Simply allowing players to access data in the game has allowed for the development of a whole swath of tools filling in roles that cannot easily be done with the tools provided in game. It adds a whole new dimension to the game.
  • Continuous upgrading - graphics, sound, wormhole space, Pochven, by adding new styles of gameplay and making the game look and sound modern, eve is able to attract new players and potentially give something new to older players. Not all changes are good don’t get me wrong but at least the game still receives new stuff regularly.

I think that’s enough for this one for now, let me know if you want me to come up with anymore! :slight_smile:

What has CPP got incorrect

• Scarcity - From my understanding the theory was a scarcity of resources breeds conflict, but I think this is only partially true. Scarcity everywhere does not breed conflict but prevent it as prices increase therefore risk calculations favor non engagement more often. Now to be clear I am not advocating for what I am about to say and am using it as an example: If CCP instead made it so areas that were mined regularly spawned fewer resources and those that are mined less spawn more that would drive people to control the areas that spawn more resources as another mechanism for driving conflict that might have seen more success - again not advocating for this.
  • Station skins - they are hideous. I saw one post on the eve facebook group with a structure with a skin that should not be allowed to be viewed even as an image or at least be given a health warning for how ugly it was.
  • Various interfaces - some are just so difficult to use and would put off a new player and frustrate a veteran, for example setting up a new overview is a nightmare.
  • Dropping Linux support - way too late to reverse but a shame they didn’t continue with this and upgrade the game with libraries available on all platforms.
  • Some things feel unfinished - T3 ships they got a cruiser and destroyer and stopped, some pirate factions have only 3 ships others a lot more, etc.
  • Ending Dust 451… I don’t need to add to that

Again will end this here but ask if you want me to add any more

What do you wish existed in-game that doesn’t

• Not advocating for this but planetary invasions
  • The things in my list above which don’t currently exist.

What exists in-game that you wish didn’t?

• Triglavian gate camps in low and high sec, Trigs are interesting but farming them is a lot less possible if you want to also fly around safely. Not advocating for the abolition of this though at this time I would need to think about it and discuss it with people a lot more, if this is something people want. Just because I find something frustrating does not immediately mean it’s a bad thing.

What exists in-game that you think ought to continue to exist

This one is a lot harder to answer, because it constitutes most of the game, wormholes,nullsec,lowsec, high sec, pochven, etc should all continue to exist.

What doesn’t exist in-game that you hope never comes into existence?

• Another crossover event, please just no.
  • Undermining of the player run economy by allowing things to be bought with a credit card instead.

Skipping ahead as I really want to answer the next Q

How would you improve PI

Glad you asked! One simple issue with PI is the visuals, circles with cogs in is not visually appealing and this needs a complete overhaul.

The next and arguably more important is how hard it is to set up planets. This is why I am suggesting the copy and paste feature for PI. Let’s look at an example based on factory planets I actually set up once:

the factory planets use 20 factories and can produce things with 3 ingredients, to route an output takes 4 clicks (click the factory, click the recipe, click the destination, click create route) which is 4* 20=100 clicks. Then for the inputs it also takes 5 clicks, (click the storage, click the item to route, click create route, click the destination, click confirm), which for all the factories for a 3 ingredient schematic is 20* 5* 3=300 clicks. So to change recipe one needs to click at least 100+300 = 400 clicks (this does ommit potentional other steps). This makes for very tedious gameplay and taking time of work for repetitive strain injury.

If it was possible to select a factory, that has inputs and outputs routed, ctrl+c, select another factory and crtl+v which adds the same schematic and the same input/output routes. If the appropriate connection does not exist for a route it does nothing and returns an error.

Using the above copy and paste method for our example, one could instead set up 1 factory for 5* 3+4 = 19 clicks, then the remaining 19 with 19 clicks (click factory, press ctrl + v) for a total of 38 clicks. A very significant reduction and the saving of much tedium.

So that’s for factory planets. For resource extraction planets I am considering an idea that removes the setting up of resource extraction programs and instead just have nodes that continuously extract until a full destination that may be dragged around. I haven’t thought enough about the consequences of this though to add it to the list (any feedback is appreciated).

How would you improve the entire corporation UI?

The information we need in the corporate UI is there but like a lot of UIs in eve, it is often difficult to find. UI design is way out of my field of expertise and it is best given to someone who is an expert. CCP possess the resources to hire an expert to overhaul their UI and this is something I will advocate for, for a lot of the UIs.

Will you also oppose RMT and Gambling operations being run off TOR and other means, Rico?

RMT and gambling operations introduce problems to the game and should be opposed where possible. RMT usually goes hand in hand with botting and gambling can cause issues for the economy. I don’t feel particularly passionate about these things though and know that CCP already tries to put an end to both.

Added suggestion to make a streamer mode based on feedback from a twitch streamer, love to hear any more ideas!

Added the following to the list:

• Increase max number of bookmarks in a folder.
  • Expand corp projects to include more FW projects

I think a really important accessibility feature is having the option to increase the size of the cursor.

@Collin_Aronder 100%, going on the list thank you for this suggestion

1 Like

CMS 18
You are all welcome to advertise
introduce yourself on one of the largest German Discord servers
And to advertise 1300+ are waiting for you Respect Honor Passion

The candidates are invited LIVE in the stream

And with LIVE translation English to German !!
introduce yourself in an interview and ask questions
to be answered by German speaking players
Yours sincerely

Meine Eve Online-Geschichte

Meine Karriere begann damit, dass ich in ein Unternehmen hineingezogen wurde, das darauf abzielte, neue Spieler zu betrügen, indem es Aktien und ein schreckliches Rückkaufprogramm anbot, um so viel Isk wie möglich aus neuen, naiven Spielern herauszuquetschen. Dieses Unternehmen brach schließlich zusammen, aber einige seiner Opfer schlossen sich zusammen, um ein neues Unternehmen zu gründen, das in Low Sec angesiedelt war. Diese hatte einigen Erfolg, bis schlechtes Management dazu führte, dass mit Anschuldigungen um sich geworfen wurde und das Unternehmen schließlich zusammenbrach. Ich wechselte dann zu einer C5-Wurmlochgruppe, wo ich Rekrutierer wurde. Diese Gruppe stimmte schließlich dafür, mit einer anderen zu fusionieren, aber ich passte nicht in die neue Kultur, also beschloss ich, sie zu verlassen und begann, solo im Fraktionskrieg zu fliegen. Später wurde ich von einem der alten Mitglieder der C5-Gruppe gejagt, der mich als Industriechef für seine neue C2-Corp haben wollte. Ich nahm an. Dieses Corps war eine Zeit lang erfolgreich, löste sich aber aus verschiedenen Gründen schließlich auf, was mit meinem Wechsel von der EU in die AU-Zeitzone zusammenfiel. Daraufhin beschloss ich, in den Fraktionskriegsraum zurückzukehren und gründete meine eigene Korporation, wobei ich die Fehler meiner früheren Korporationen zu Hilfe nahm. Wir traten einer Calmil-Allianz bei, bevor wir uns schließlich mit einem anderen Corps aus der AU-Zeitzone zusammenschlossen. Hier bin ich derzeit.

In meiner bisherigen Laufbahn habe ich sowohl persönliche Tools als auch Unternehmens-Tools entwickelt, wobei ich ESI, Python und eine Menge Hacking eingesetzt habe. Ich habe Berichte geschrieben und Präsentationen für eine Vielzahl von Dingen gehalten.

Meine Fachgebiete. In welchen Bereichen des Spiels habe ich das Gefühl, dass ich mich am besten auskenne? Welche Eigenschaften heben mich von anderen Kandidaten ab?

Nun, mein eigentliches Fachgebiet ist die Computerwissenschaft (ich habe zwischen Computerchemie und Computerneurowissenschaft gewechselt). Ich bin gut darin, Daten zu betrachten und sinnvolle Schlussfolgerungen daraus zu ziehen. Ich bin auch gut im Verfassen von Dokumenten, was vielleicht langweilig klingt, aber für die Verwaltung hinter den Kulissen wichtig ist.

Ich bin auch teilweise farbenblind und weiß daher um die Schwierigkeiten, die mit Dingen wie ECM-Modulen und der visuellen Identifizierung von Wurmlöchern (insbesondere C1-3) verbunden sind, und ich bin fest davon überzeugt, dass nichts in eve ein Augentest sein sollte.

Ich betreibe eve unter Linux und obwohl native Unterstützung keine vernünftige Forderung ist, würde ich dafür plädieren, dass CCP vorgeschlagene Änderungen mit den allgemein verwendeten Kompatibilitätstools testet, damit der Linux-Community der Zugang zu eve online nicht verwehrt wird.

Da ich hauptsächlich im Fraktionskriegsraum und Wurmlochraum gespielt habe, glaube ich, dass dies die Bereiche des Spiels sind, mit denen ich am meisten vertraut bin. Ich kenne mich mit den Mechanismen der Industrie im Spiel einigermaßen gut aus.

Ich bin nicht so neu, dass ich ahnungslos bin, aber auch nicht so alt, dass ich mich nicht mehr daran erinnern kann, wie es ist, neu in eve zu sein. Ich glaube daran, dass ich für Verbesserungen der Lebensqualität eintrete, die helfen, das Spiel für alle zu verbessern und neue Spieler zu halten. Zum Beispiel wäre eine Kopier- und Einfügefunktion für PI schön. Tritt dem Discord bei, um mehr über die Dinge zu erfahren, für die ich mich einsetze, und um auch neue Dinge vorzuschlagen. Ich bin hier, um zuzuhören, das zu lösende Problem zu identifizieren und es dann der Liste hinzuzufügen, die ich habe. Denkt daran, dass ich nicht für irgendeine Art von großer Überholung eintrete, sondern eher für Änderungen der Lebensqualität, Zugänglichkeit und Balance.

Warum bewerben Sie sich für die CSM?

Im Streben nach größeren Dingen werden die kleinen Dinge oft übersehen. Doch Mechanismen, die durch ein schlechtes Interface unnötig kompliziert gemacht werden, führen bei bestehenden Spielern zu Frustration und vergraulen neue Spieler. Nehmen wir zum Beispiel das Fertigkeitenmenü. Angenommen, man möchte eine Fertigkeit finden, die einem mehr CPU gibt, dann kann man nicht einfach danach suchen und benötigt entweder 1) vorhandenes Spielwissen 2) externe Tools oder 3) Ratschläge von anderen Spielern. Ich bewerbe mich für den CSM, um mich für diese Art von Änderungen einzusetzen, um das Spiel zugänglicher zu machen, um die Linux-Community und die Eve-Community im Allgemeinen zu vertreten.

Was können die Spieler von mir erwarten?

Ich liebe die Geschichte von eve, was das Dr. Who Crossover Event zu meinem meistgehassten Ereignis aller Zeiten macht. Ihr könnt von mir erwarten, dass ich mich für eine vernünftige Richtung der Geschichte einsetze.

Ich werde immer die folgenden Fragen zu neuen Änderungsvorschlägen stellen: 1) Macht es Spaß? 2) Passt es in die Philosophie von Eve? 3) Gibt es unbeabsichtigte Konsequenzen dieser Änderung?

Falls ich gewählt werde, habe ich vor, Berichte für die verschiedenen Dinge, für die ich mich einsetzen werde, zu erstellen und sie im Discord zu teilen. Ich werde dies nutzen, um sicherzustellen, dass ich eine informierte Position habe, wenn ich mit CCP-Vertretern diskutiere.

Vielen Dank, dass Sie sich die Zeit genommen haben, dies zu lesen, und ich möchte abschließend sagen, dass ich im Forum nicht so aktiv bin, aber wenn Sie in den Discord gehen, würde ich gerne alle Fragen beantworten, die Sie dort haben, oder alles mit Ihnen im Detail besprechen.

Meine bisherige Liste
Gefällt Ihnen etwas nicht? Möchtest du etwas hinzufügen? Tritt dem Discord bei!

• Nichts sollte ein Augentest sein, d.h. visuelle Wurmlocherkennung oder Unterscheidung von ECM-Modulen.
  • Kopieren und Einfügen-Funktion für PI
  • Integrieren Sie einige externe Tools in eve. Zum Beispiel kann man mit ESI den Markt für jede Region einsehen, dies sollte auch im Spiel möglich sein.
  • Beim Verankern von Strukturen sollten deutlichere Benachrichtigungen bezüglich der Timer zur Verfügung gestellt werden (eine Gruppe hatte Probleme, dass sie den Timer nicht einstellen konnte)
  • Erwägung einer Erweiterung der Edencom-Schiffslinie, um sie lebensfähiger zu machen.
  • Doppelklick auf eine Signatur, um Sonden beim Scannen zu zentrieren.
  • Suche von Fertigkeiten nach Effekten, nicht nur nach Namen; erwägen Sie eine Neuformatierung des
  • Layouts wie bei aideron.org, damit die Fertigkeiten für neue Spieler leichter zu verstehen sind.
  • Animation der Mannschaftskapseln bei der Zerstörung von Schiffen (es ist nicht nur die Kapsel, die versucht zu entkommen!)
  • Werbung und Erweiterung der englischsprachigen AU TZ.
  • Rebalance der Schlachtfelder und Ihub-LP-Auszahlungen im FW-Raum.
    FW scheint Farmer zu sehr zu begünstigen, Plexe sind zu leicht zu entkommen und PvP wird nicht unbedingt gefördert.
  • Überarbeite Shipcaster so, dass sie mehr sind als nur Titanenüberbrückung, nach all dem Hype muss es interessanter sein!
  • Baut ein Markt-Tutorial für neue Spieler ein, das Eves-System ist komplizierter als die meisten Spiele!
    Füge einen Vorteil für den entsprechenden ESI-Endpunkt für FW hinzu.
  • Dscan-Auto-Refresh-Option - niemand will da sitzen und immer wieder eine Taste drücken!
  • Überlege dir, wie du die Griffin-Marine verbessern kannst, manche glauben, dass sie im Vergleich zu den EWAR-Fregatten der anderen Fraktionen zu schwach ist.
  • Das Betreiben von Rendevous-Plätzen sollte leichte Boni auf die Position der Fraktion geben.
  • Füge Logi zu Killmails hinzu, wenn du jemanden vertrittst, der einen Kill bekommt, solltest du in der Mail erscheinen.
  • zusätzliche Statik für C5/C6 Whs hinzufügen, um mehr PvP zu fördern.
  • Füge einen Knopf zum Aufrüsten des Schiffes hinzu, der die Munition in der Station auffüllt und einen Multibuy erzeugt, wenn das Schiff nicht genug hat, um die ursprüngliche Ladung vor dem letzten Abdocken wieder aufzufüllen.
  • Hinzufügen des Streamer-Modus zum Spiel, um es Erstellern von Inhalten zu erleichtern, zu streamen oder Videos zu erstellen, ohne sich Sorgen machen zu müssen, wichtige Informationen zu verraten.
  • Erhöhung der maximalen Anzahl von Lesezeichen in einem Ordner.
  • Erweiterung der Corp-Projekte, um mehr FW-Projekte aufzunehmen.
  • Hinzufügen einer Option, um die Größe des Cursors im Spiel anzupassen, damit er für diejenigen, die damit Schwierigkeiten haben, leichter zu sehen ist.
  • Ändern Sie die Schriftart, damit jeder den Unterschied zwischen 0 und O leicht erkennen kann. Erlaube die Größenänderung der Schrift in allen Fenstern.
  • Stapeln Sie Neuts, ECM und Smartbombs auf dem Rack.

My CCP interview (it wont embed properly sorry)
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1916201857?t=03h43m55s

Added the following items to the list:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.