[Ship Design] Precursor Drifter Shipline and Modules

(Uriel Paradisi Anteovnuecci) #1

The following is a design layout for a Drifter faction ship line - Frigate, Cruiser, and Battleship.
Includes balanced ships, modules, and attributes, along with descriptions and technical context.

With the release of “Into the Abyss”, the Triglavian Collective has been introduced in stark opposition to the invading Drifters - and from their standoff, we’ve gained a solid springboard for a design philosophy for Drifter ships and module mechanics within the new “Precursor” category, which opens up future possibilities for player usage of ancient race technology. Drawing from there, this post introduces a reconceptualized Drifter battleship (evolving from last year’s proposal), a Frigate and Cruiser, new modules, and new bonuses & gameplay mechanics to support them - these are the main themes for the Drifter lineup:

• Quick strikes and short fights
  • Mediocre tank, exceptional mobility
  • No utility high slots, minimal drones
  • Strong focus on overloading modules
  • Bonus to module repair speed for Nanite Paste
  • Bonuses to overheating Microwarpdrives and Drifter turrets
  • Role Bonus allowing modules with 100% heat damage to be repaired
  • Average turret damage, which increases drastically when overloading guns
  • A combined shield and superweapon module, which disallows assistance while fitted

The sections below detail each of the ships, as well as the new module types introduced alongside them - click the arrows to expand each part. A full attribute chart can also be found in this sheet.

119_64_1 Warp Lance

Warp lances are the Drifters’ take on turrets, channeling a ship’s warp core through fermion lenses into sheared warp corridors that deal a combination of EM and Kinetic damage with tech I ammo, and omni-spread damage for tech II ammo -which is fireable by both tech II turrets and an additional “storyline” variant of each turret size that becomes available at level V of each specialization skill. Warp Lances are highly versatile, with ammo that trades application for strength (and vice-versa) in significant amounts. Turrets come in small, medium, and large sizes, and are paired with “Drive Capillary” damage modules.

The turrets inflict average base damage, which is increased dramatically by overloading them when fitted to a Drifter ship. Warp Lance ROF increases by 14.285% when heated, increased to ~50% on a fully skilled Drifter hull.

Description

Based on Drifter warp and cryotech principles, Warp Lances channel a ship’s warp core through fermion lenses into warp-sheared particle corridors to inflict massive damage on their target, with a tremendous potential increase in rate of fire through controlled overloading. Containing their own warp cores, turrets achieve movement through Drifter propulsion methods, and hang suspended above their host’s hull by spatially locking their individual warp fields to its own.

Variations, Ammo, and Skill Requirements

Tech I:
Light Warp Lance I - Requires Small Precursor Weapon I
Light Compact Warp Lance
Light Scoped Warp Lance
Heavy Warp Lance I - Requires Medium Precursor Weapon I
Heavy Compact Warp Lance
Heavy Scoped Warp Lance
Fullborne Warp Lance I - Requires Large Precursor Weapon I
Fullborne Compact Warp Lance
Fullborne Scoped Warp Lance

Tech II
Light Warp Lance II - Requires Small Warp Lance Specialization I, S. Precursor Weapon V
Heavy Warp Lance II - Requires Medium Warp Lance Specialization I, M. Precursor Weapon V
Fullborne Warp Lance II - Requires Large Warp Lance Specialization I, L. Precursor Weapon V

Storyline
Lux Kopis - Requires Small Warp Lance Specialization V
Lux Xiphos - Requires Medium Warp Lance Specialization V
Lux Kontos - Requires Large Warp Lance Specialization V

Ammo:
Dirac - tech I, standard, EM/Kin
Weyl - tech I, long range, EM/KIN
Majorana - tech I, high damage, EM/KIN
Soma - tech II, longest range, omni
Ego - tech II, highest damage, omni

Aegis Hyperwarp Diffuser

Hyperwarp Diffusers (better known to players as the infamous Drifter overshield and doomsday combination) generate a defensive secondary shield layer that breaks locks and allows its pilot to unleash a powerful one-shot attack, affected by tracking and optimal/falloff ranges, when depleted. Any ship fitted with the module is completely unable to provide or receive remote assistance of any kind.

This module is intended to be nonessential for Drifter ships, instead being fitted & used at their pilots’ discretion. As with the turrets, the base version of each size deals a combination of EM and Kinetic damage, and the Storyline version is spread omni.

Description

The Hyperwarp Diffuser is a dual-function defensive and offensive module, commonly recognized as the Drifter “overshield” and superweapon. The system channels a vessel’s warp core output through its shield emitters to generate a defensive particle field layer, which concentrates and accelerates as the field is depleted. Upon reaching its critical point, a resulting signal burst confuses all target locks on or by the ship, and the turbulent critical concentration is spooled into sequenced Isogen-5 Lattices to prime its offensive function: a single-shot, oversized warp-sheared corridor that rips into a target with immense force.

As a result of its operating principle, low-energy interactions between a ship fitted with this module and any external entity are completely muted - rendering a host vessel unable to receive or provide any form of remote assistance. Additionally, a Hyperwarp Diffuser’s draw from a ship’s warp core necessitates a significant warp field recalibration period following discharge of its weapon function.

How the module functions in-game

When fitted to a ship:
Base shield HP will be reduced by 50%, with the remaining half being copied for a new “overshield” layer, which has zero penetration. In-flight, overshield cannot be repaired with shield boosters, and the user’s ship cannot provide or receive any form of remote assistance while the module is fitted, online or offline.

When overshield HP is depleted:
All target locks on or by the ship break, normal shield HP is charged to 100%, and an overshield replenishment timer starts counting down (at the end of which overshield returns at full HP).

Firing Weapon:
The module can be activated once the overshield has depleted, consuming Isogen-V lattices, dealing damage to the selected target, starting a warp delay timer, and restarting the overshield replenishment timer at full. Firing the module on any target incurs a suspect and weapons timer - and if it is not fired before the replenishment timer runs down, it cannot be activated until the overshield is depleted once again.

Variations, Consumption, and Skill Requirements

Tech I
Light Hyperwarp Diffuser - Requires Small HWD Operation I, Small Precursor Weapon V
Heavy Hyperwarp Diffuser - Requires Medium HWD Operation I, Medium Precursor Weapon V
Prime Hyperwarp Diffuser - Requires Large HWD Operation I, Large Precursor Weapon V

Storyline
Light Aegis - Requires Small Hyperwarp Diffuser Operation V
Heavy Aegis - Requires Medium Hyperwarp Diffuser Operation V
Prime Aegis - Requires Large Hyperwarp Diffuser Operation V

Consumption:
Isogen-5 Lattice - 50m3

charybsil1Charyb

Description
Following the flooding of capsuleers into the Abyssal frontlines in YC120, the Charyb emerged as a resource-efficient addition to the Drifter fleet. Hard-hitting and stunningly mobile, the vessel was rapidly incorporated into Tyrannos operations throughout the cluster and beyond.

The Charyb is capable of fitting both Light Warp Lances and Light Hyperwarp Diffuser modules. In addition, the incorporation of specialized Sleeper cryotech and thermoregulatory principles into the the hull’s design drastically increases the overload potential of fitted weapons and microwarpdrives.

Bonuses

Precursor Frigate bonuses per skill level:
50% bonus to Light Warp Lance and Microwarpdrive overload bonuses
50% bonus to damaged module repair amount per second

Role Bonuses:
Can fit Light Warp Lance and Light Hyperwarp Diffuser
Can repair heat damage to modules that have taken 100% damage

Fitting

Slot Layout (h/m/l): 3/4/3
Turret Hardpoints: 3
Launcher Hardpoints: 0
Rig Slots: 3
Rig Size: Small
Calibration: 400
Powergrid Output: 58.0 MW
CPU Output: 220.0 tf

Attributes

Defense (shields / armor / hull): 700 / 180 / 475
Base shield resistances (EM/Therm/Kin/Exp): 33 / 10 / 33 / 33
Base armor resistances (EM/Therm/Kin/Exp): 0 / 43 / 43 / 43
Capacitor (amount / recharge rate): 415 GJ / 190 sec.
Mobility (max velocity / agility / mass): 522m/sec / 2.685x / 748,000kg
Warp Speed: 5 au/s
Drones (bandwidth / bay): 5mBit/sec / 10m3
Targeting (max targeting range / Scan Resolution / Max Locked targets): 41km / 750mm / 5
Sensor strength: 14 Gravimetric
Signature radius: 28m
Cargo capacity: 165m3

scyllasil1Scylla

Description:
Revealing itself in YC120, the Scylla has cemented its position as a uniquely agile fast-attack cruiser, aggressively responding to encroachment on the Drifters’ claims in known space and supporting its larger counterpart in Tyrannos incursions against the Triglavian Collective in the depths of Abyssal Deadspace.

The Scylla is capable of fitting both Heavy Warp Lances and Heavy Hyperwarp Diffuser modules. In addition, the incorporation of specialized Sleeper cryotech and thermoregulatory principles into the the hull’s design drastically increases the overload potential of fitted weapons and microwarpdrives.

Bonuses

Precursor Cruiser bonuses per skill level:
50% bonus to Heavy Warp Lance and Microwarpdrive overload bonuses

Role Bonuses:
Can fit Heavy Warp Lance and Heavy Hyperwarp Diffuser

Fitting

Slot Layout (h/m/l): 4/6/4
Turret Hardpoints: 4
Rig Size: Medium
Powergrid Output: 1000.0 MW
CPU Output: 410.0 tf

Attributes

Defense (shields / armor / hull): 3,000 / 780 / 1,020
Capacitor (amount / recharge rate): 2,000 GJ / 415 sec.
Mobility (max velocity / agility / mass): 299m/sec / 0.345x / 7,057,000kg
Warp Speed: 3 au/s
Drones (bandwidth / bay): 10mBit/sec / 20m3
Targeting (max targeting range / Scan Resolution / Max Locked targets): 56km / 365mm / 7
Sensor strength: 23 Gravimetric
Signature radius: 110m
Cargo capacity: 325m3

argosil1 Argo

Description:
First encountered in early YC117, the Argo quickly established itself as the Drifters’ emblematic mainline battleship. The vessel initially operated strategically, guarding and harvesting materials from the derelict Jove Observatories spread across the cluster, and demonstrated its full combat potential during the Throne Worlds incursions following the assassination of Empress Jamyl I.

The Argo is capable of fitting both Fullborne Warp Lances and Prime Hyperwarp Diffuser modules. In addition, the incorporation of specialized Sleeper cryotech and thermoregulatory principles into the the hull’s design drastically increases the overload potential of fitted weapons and microwarpdrives.

Bonuses

Precursor Battleship bonuses per skill level:
50% bonus to Fullborne Warp Lance and Microwarpdrive overload bonuses

Role Bonuses:
Can fit Fullborne Warp Lance and Prime Hyperwarp Diffuser

Fitting

Slot Layout (h/m/l): 5/8/5
Turret Hardpoints: 5
Rig Size: Large
Powergrid Output: 15,000.0 MW
CPU Output: 670.0 tf

Attributes

Defense (shields / armor / hull): 10,000 / 2,800 / 7,600
Capacitor (amount / recharge rate): 7,200 GJ / 1075 sec.
Mobility (max velocity / agility / mass): 183m/sec / 0.075x / 74,620,000kg
Warp Speed: 2 au/s
Drones (bandwidth / bay): 25mBit/sec / 50m3
Targeting (max targeting range / Scan Resolution / Max Locked targets): 89km / 125mm / 8
Sensor strength: 29 Gravimetric
Signature radius: 375m
Cargo capacity: 630m3

Again, full attributes for each of these ships, modules, and charges can be found in this sheet. With the Precursor designation’s arrival on TQ, players gaining access to more ancient race tech is just a matter of time and development resources - so look forward to seeing Drifter vessels and modules sometime soon™!

o7

edit 1: removed Afterburner overload bonus from skill bonuses, leaving MWDs and Drifter Turrets
edit 2: changed skill and role bonuses, see here
edit 3: simplified turrets and ammo types

Update For Drifter Ships Reccomendation
(Blood Ruin) #2

I support this proposal.

(Btr0n) #3

I also support this. Gimmie.

(Chessur) #4

I ■■■■■■■ need this.

(Ymenoa Merenet) #5

Backing it up 100%.

(Alderson Point) #6

Nice work!

(Nuko Akato) #7

so well thought out , i thought it was an official blog post , now im sad

(Arthur Aihaken) #8

Excellent presentation. I wish I could give it more than one like!

(Michael Pawlicki) #9

This is the best proposal yet Uriel. I hope CCP takes notice.

(IAI FANKFAW) #10

+1 i appreciate this post

(Beacon Malaf Morgarit) #11

I need this.

(Janna Haze) #12

Impressive work. Would love to see this idea become reality.

(Dark Engraver) #13

I mostly like it but in keeping with current drifter tech perhaps just the over shield with no super weapon would better fit.

Also disallowing local or remote repairs but having unusually large shield capacities for their ship type fits with drifters too

(Eternal Montage) #14

Amazing post!

Make it so the ship can’t warp after using it either. I mean if it uses the warp drive somehow… wouldn’t that make sense?

(Uriel Paradisi Anteovnuecci) #15

Thanks for the feedback! And I didn’t make it super clear in the post, but the overshield will always function, with the weapon part of it only able to be fired if you have the ammo/consumption for it - and who’s to say how difficult it’d be to get those items? :thinking:

(Uriel Paradisi Anteovnuecci) #16

That’s already included, listed under both the in-game function and its description~ It’s a pretty significant timer as well, if you peep the attribute sheet :slight_smile:

(Eternal Montage) #17

Ahh my apologies, i did not see that. I really like the concept.

(Siobhan MacLeary) #18

“Warp drive recalibration period” means “cannot warp”.

As ideas in F&I go, this is one of the very few that I’ve looked at and not immediately dismissed as imbalanced, stupid, or a combination of both.

I would support CCP’s hiring of Uriel as a designer.

(Galileo Shihari) #19

Oh this would be epic.

(LT Alter) #20

Wonderful suggestion