YC 124 New Eden Capsuleer's Writing Contest

All:

In light of the successful contest the last eight years I am pleased to announce the NINTH (yay!) year for a writing contest for stories or poems by or about Capsuleers/Baseliners and their worlds and cultures.

BASIC DETAILS:

CATEGORIES: There will be FOUR categories this year:

1. Poetry
  2. Prose
  3. Academic/Scientific (e.g. Academic, Economic Reports, Science Reports, Theological Writings, Treatises, etc.)
  4. News/Gossip/Opinion Pieces

RULES

DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION - MAY 22nd

There is no minimum length. Maximum length is 15,000 words. There is no required subject matter; the content may be fiction or non-fiction.

Prior works are eligible as long as posted or published AFTER May 15, YC 123 (2021). This means, for example, works in the recent story-time thread on the IGS or stories and gossip reports (in Player Fiction) in the past year can be nominated by their authors for consideration.

Please post entries by linking in this thread or by a clear label in the Eve Fiction category of these forums, e.g. [YC 124 NEWCWC your work title here] as the title.

PRIZES

FIRST PLACE - 5 billion isk
SECOND PLACE - 3 billion isk
THIRD PLACE - 750 million isk
FOURTH PLACE - 250 million isk
Honorable Mentions - 50 million isk

SPECIAL PRIZES:

There is a special incentive prize, for the Academic and News Category, of an additional 5 billion each, for the winner, donated by Lauralite Anne Brezia!

there is a special prize for the best Triglavian themed entry from Clementine Lefleur.

Each of the Judges may, in their discretion, award a personal prize to the favorite (regardless of the ā€œplaceā€ of the submission)

The most ā€œamusingā€ or ā€œentertainingā€ to me* or intriguing gets treated to a candlelit dinner by me at a fine restaurant or a meal at another location

ADDITIONAL RULES/COMMENTS

All judges and I (as administrator) are disqualified from submission for prizes.

All entries will be considered. However, no plagarism is allowed.

if the quality of the entries does not merit the number of prizes, then prizes will be given up to the number deemed meritorious.

if people have any questions or need rulings, I am the contest administrator and you can feel free to message me directly.

I also want to offer the following thank you to our Donors! Franco Phonaga and Clementine Lafleur, One Billion isk from ARC, Two Billion isk from Lady Karmilla Kor-Anashtih, Two Billion ISK from Sahara Jackal and 12.5 billion isk from Jinari Otsito and . 10 billion isk from Lauralite Anne Brezia.

Also a thank you to this yearā€™s panel of Eight judges for volunteering their time and efforts: Loai Qerl, Maira Blackfire, Korsavius, Clementine Lafleur, Nevyn Kumamato, Cassandra Habulu, Pol Macsliebh, and Bin Orlenard.

Cordially, and with Godā€™s Blessings

Lunarisse Aspenstar Daphiti
Directrix Societas Sceptri Coronaeque
Co-Executrix Khimi Harar

((OOC note - no plagarism! it is requested that the work be ā€œoriginalā€ to the player entering and not copied from another author.))

ENTRIES SO FAR! Will be updated as Contest progress.

Poetry:

1. Miyoshi Akachi - A Haiku Collection
  2. Prince Seraghis - The Infiltration
  3. Zedicon Prime - Rhyme of an Amarr
  4. Alda Malukker - Captured
  5. Theodosius Savnar - Eulogy for an Astrahus - The Fall of Farthest Shore
  6. Zedicon Prime - Ramblings of the Stellar Mariner
  7. Tsuneshi Ryuzoiji - A Corny Love Poem
  8. Tamara Zalair - Behemoth
  9. Yun-Hee ā€˜Tight-lipsā€™ Yubari - The Black Songā€™s Flight

Prose:

1. Miyoshi Akachi - A Free Agent Life
  2. Elsebeth Rhiannon - But Mama I Donā€™t Want The Wind
  3. Elsebeth Rhiannon - How the God lost His Name, and the Khanid Their God
  4. Elsebeth Rhiannon - Why is the sea salty
  5. Zedicon Prime - Solaria, My Home
  6. Melicien Tetro - Retrospect
  7. Prince Seraghis - The Farthest Shore
  8. Tanagura Amoii - Jin Emperorā€™s Leaning Tower
  9. Raultalainen Isise - The Way Turns Unexpectedly
  10. Zedicon Prime - Getting My Bearings - A Noobā€™s Three-Year Tale
  11. Grimaxemorpher - The Fall of Niarja The Start Of A New Era
  12. Kyle Saltz - Bells
  13. wallel Audeles - Memoirs of a Capsuleer: wallel Audeles: Splintered Soul
  14. Arkana Hawker - A New Deck of Cards
  15. Zedicon Prime - In Response
  16. Duke Shasta - The Blood of Gladiators
  17. Brisc Rubal - Short Skirt, Long Jacket
  18. Tamara Zalair - The Messenger
  19. Mizhara Delā€™Thul - Walking in Myth( Audit Entry)
  20. Daiko Kobayashi - Jin Mei Leaving Home
  21. Aria Jenneth - One True Law
  22. Corix - Rainfall

Academic:

1. Gosakumori Noh - Dialogs on God, Outlandish Radio Blobs, and Isogen-5
  2. Miyoshi Akachi - Sawa Laboratories YC 124 Q1 Report
  3. Zedicon Prime - History of the Temperate Worlds of Helab
  4. Zedicon Prime - Eras of Soliara III
  5. Miyoshi Akachi - Establishing an industrial colony: a journal
  6. Gavin Lokā€™ri - A Briefing on the State of the Empire
  7. Evelyn Arnoux - Ashes to Ascendance

Gossip/News/Opinion

1. Talaris Eveningstar - The truth is out there
  2. Gosakumori Noh - Noh Candidacy Teaser
  3. Prince Seraghis - Amarr Militia Rally Following Loss of Flosewin
  4. Emilia Dallocort - Podded
  5. Jorianna Gallaire - Strike Commander Caught In Love (with a) Triangle?
  6. Octantia Dadarwar/Nauplius - Custody Battle
    Part One
    Part Two
    Part Three
    Part Four
    Part Five
  7. Nauplius - ā€œThe True Emperorā€ Holo Reel and Spin-Off
    Part One
    Part Two
    Part Three
    Part Four
  8. Evepandora - DammFam Refinery Attacked
  9. Miyoshi Akachi - Impossible Love, the new bestseller by Chialette Ahubbert is out!
  10. Jorianna Gallaire - Olives the green oil from Intaki
  11. Jorianna Gallaire - Artpiece considered Lost resurfaces in Cailleā€™s Museum of Modern Arts
20 Likes

As one of the previous (multiple) winners of this competition in past years, I endorse this competition and am willing to sponsor additional prizes.

6 Likes

What absolutely perfect timing, darling. I just finished my Federation presidential campaign video. Why, I canā€™t imagine more important news! Well, I suppose I could if I really tried. End of the universe, that sort of thing.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve got three cracking prizes sorted out. Just need to figure out what criteria they should be awarded for.

3 Likes

It is appreciated! Just let me know when you figure it out.

I have dispatched the prizes to Lunarisse, and they should arrive shortly.

Prize No. 1: Block of Cheese 250,000m3 of cheese, approx equivalent value 80M ISK

Prize No. 2. Trash Can 250,000m3 of trash, approx value 15M ISK

Prize No. 3. Safety Mud 120,000m3 of sport mud, approx value 10M ISK

The criteria are still to be agreed upon fully, however:

For the Safety Mud, I am envisioning the winner should be the best article or story involving health & fitness. Could be amusing pieces of gym lore, or a thrilling adventure short story where the protagonist is a sportball player, bodybuilder, or other health&fitness enthusiast.

For the Trash, I expect the winner would be something relating to Gallente culture - perhaps a Gallente tech-noir thriller, where the protagonist is a private detective, or the antagonist is an exotic dancer, set in the mean streets of nighttime Caille.

And for the enormous block of Cheese, I predict the winner will have something to do with Amarr culture in some way. Perhaps a theological romantic comedy, in which goats and/or well-endowed Amarr ladies feature prominently.

I am completely confident that Lunarisse will establish formal criteria as appropriate, for these fantastic prizes.

3 Likes

I have three stories this year that would qualify and I wish to enter:

But Mama I donā€™t want the wind
How the God lost His name, and the Khanid their God
Why is the sea salty

The middle one could qualify as theological text, but I do not think the competition will see it similarly to me, so I suppose these are all prose.

Spirits at your back.

OOC

The salt mill story is, obviously, a retelling of a well-known European legend / fairy tale. I have not followed any particular telling knowingly (though I cannot rule out subconscious borrowing of phrasings but put it to words and set it to context on my own. I am not sure how this relates to the competitionā€™s rules on plagiarism; if it breaks them I trust the judges wonā€™t consider it.

2 Likes

I would like to submit [YC124 NECWC] A free agent life for the prose category.

1 Like

I would like to submit [YC124 NECWC] A Haiku collection for the poetry category.

5 Likes

I am pleased this tradition continues. I wish to thank all involved in this honourable activity.

Although sorely tempted to take part myself I feel an intermission might be best. However I do look foreword to viewing your submissions.

May fine fortune favour you.

4 Likes

Updated OP to list the first few entries to the contest. Weā€™re off to a good start!

4 Likes

Saw this post, started writing, stopped, here we are now. I wonder who wrote this? Which one of us, or is that one really
Me?

Updated!

Also Clementine LeFleur has announced in advance her judgeā€™s prize for the best Triglavian Themed Work. A fully fitted Leshak with special selected abyssal modules.

2 Likes

I would like to submit the following under the ā€œOpinion Pieceā€ category.

Podded

2 Likes

I would like to submit [YC124 NECWC] Sawa Laboratories YC124 Q1 Report in the Academic/Scientific category.

4 Likes

Submitting in gossip category.

BR
Miss Galliere.

1 Like

I would like to submit History of the Temperate Worlds of Helab for the academic category.

3 Likes

I am also submitting Eras of Soliara III for the academic category.

3 Likes

If this works for the Prose category, please add it to my submissions.

2 Likes

Updated OP with Entries to date! We have a little over a month to go to the May 22nd deadline! :slight_smile:

6 Likes